9.2 has a new app called Application Control.
Application Control is a new premium app that is an awesome tool to help identify and control traffic, protocols, and applications.
You can think of it as a Protocol Control thats 100x more powerful. It uses advanced algorithms to dig deep into the data stream to determine what application and protocol the stream is. This can do anything like identifying basic protocols like SSH, HTTPS to more advanced web tools like google, gmail, facebook, even facebook games, to more advanced protocols like skype, ultrasurf, etc.
For network adminstrators we think it will provide that perfect tool to detect and control the things that your users are doing that you don't want them doing.
It also can allow you to put various security policies in place (like making sure certain ports are only used for certain protocols).
To try out Application Control just install the premium package. You should get a 14-day trial license.
Things to try:
* Run traffic through it and check the event logs
* Try blocking/flagging problematic protocols (bittorrent, proxy apps)
* Blocking tricky apps (gmail but not google, facebook, facebook apps, skype)
* Try playing with rules and think up some good example rules for us to add. (also try the ultrasurf blocking rules)
* Try combining Application Control with Bandwidth Control for some very cool tricks.
* Review reports for Application Control and think up new graphs and stats you'd like to see.
* Provide feedback.
* Protocol Control is now called "Application Control Lite" in theme with our recent renames.
* WAN Failover also has a new implementation.
* Reports are much faster and have some new features and layouts
* Event logs flushing/exporting.
* Youtube for Schools
* Many bugfixes
Application Control will be a part of the premium package, so we're thrilled to announce that after 9.2 all of our current
Premium Package subscribers will get Application Control at no additional cost!
Thank you for supporting Untangle! (and thanks for technology partner for working with us to achieve this financially.)
Give it a try!
(img files are the new USB key install images)
* performance improvements based on ongoing analysis
* WAN Failover bugfixes
* Application Control improvements and bugfixes
This also means the new version will be rolled out soon.
If you do not want 9.2, upgrades, changes, enhancements, etc.
It is recommended that you turn off automatic upgrades at this time.
With upgrades off you continue to receive signature updates and you can choose if/when you upgrade.