Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default untangle is 2 times slower than fedora14

I tried untangle.. it's much slower for me...
    cpu load was about 20%
    speed without untangle 8-10Mbytes/s
    with untangle 3.5-4MBytes/s
    Is there a way to make it work faster?

Welcome to the Untangle forums.

I'm not sure where to start with your post. You've essentially said, "it's broke, read my mind and fix it for me."

As much as I'd like to have such clairvoyance... I can't do it.

Let me address an incorrect assumption you've made that could be the root of this question.

A UVM is not a router.

Simple linux routers don't have to do near as much processing per packet to push things around. Untangle is a UVM, and you need a better system if you're going to push high bandwidth.

1.) Hardware interfaces. If I've said it once I've said it 1000 times around here. Go Intel or go home. Cheap desktop grade software interfaces, read realtek, won't cut it.
    2.) Untangle needs a desktop grade piece of hardware. This means a dual core CPU, and at least 1gb of ram. Yes, you can get away with less, after you get your brain wrapped around Untangle and learn how to tweak it to match your network.

Anyway, if you need more help. Please ask a more specific question. We'll need a detailed hardware breakdown of the equipment you're trying to run Untangle on, and a basic map of how your network is laid out, with special emphasis on where Untangle is positioned.

Good luck.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

1Gb RAM, Athlon x2 @2.2Ghz.
    LAN adapters: DGE-528T (D-link gigabit)
    If cpu load is around 20% then cpu is not a bottleneck...
    I've tried to disable whole rack - there's diferrence in cpu load, not speed.

network map: internet(100Mbit)-->router(fedora or untangle)-->LAN(1Gbit)-->3 PCs with web browsing, file sharing and so on

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Master View Post
    1Gb RAM, Athlon x2 @2.2Ghz.
    If cpu load is around 20% then cpu is not a bottleneck...
    I've tried to disable whole rack - there's diferrence in cpu load, not speed.

network map: internet(100Mbit)-->router(fedora or untangle)-->LAN(1Gbit)-->3 PCs with web browsing, file sharing and so on
    As Sky-Knight said....go Intel or go home. I have seen this first hand when we upgraded our office connection from 10mbit to 25mbit. The connection through untangle would max out at around 18mbit. We had untangle on a Dell poweredge 2800 server with 2 cpu and 4gb ram. This was no where near low end for an office of 10 computers. We were using the onboard NIC's which with that server are "server grade" broadcoms. Talked with untangle support and they mentioned the same thing about intel NICS. We threw in a dual port card and things been running smooth ever since zipping away at 25mbit.

Master Untangler

those are Realtek nics....absolutely horrid for untangle

Realtek RTL8169
    lucim100 likes this.

Master Untangler

Here's a low-cost source for intel dual-port server cards, courtesy of proactivens: http://forums.untangle.com/133981-post2.html

You can also use intel gigabit GT or CT desktop adapters, but the true server cards will be better.

...LAN adapters: DGE-528T (D-link gigabit)...
    CPU load is your problem. The only issue is, kernel load doesn't show on the metrics you're reading. You're pushing software based interfaces... so either quadruple your ram, and double the CPU, or get network interfaces with hardware transievers (Intel).

Untangle's UVM is a memory and CPU hog. You need all of that system reserved for the UVM. You simply don't have the spare resources to push those crappy interfaces. Even if you toss in the extra horsepower, you'll hit a 20mbit bandwidth wall.

Tank those realteks, and install Intels, and you'll have a server that could push 200-300mbit easily. Bypassed traffic should be able to hold wirespeeds of 700-800mbit.
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

I tried untangle.. it's much slower for me...
    cpu load was about 20%
    speed without untangle 8-10Mbytes/s
    with untangle 3.5-4MBytes/s
    Is there a way to make it work faster?
    CPU load is not a %. CPU Utilization is.

If your CPU load is 20. That means that 20 proceses are waiting for service. That's bad and really high.

CPU utilization of 20% is not bad.

That being said, I very much doubt this has anything to do with the mythical "software NICs" being talked about.

Also contrary to some beliefs common on these fora, the amount of CPU being used by kernel, including any kernel modules (which is what NIC drivers are in Linux) is reported both in the Load and in CPU utilization (as "CPU Utilization by System").

However, I doubt that is the cause of your "slowness."

How are you measuring this speed? While you are doing your test, it would be helpful if you could take a screenshot of the header of the Untangle GUI that shows # of sessions, load, and bandwidth used.

I would verify that you've don't have a duplex issue with your network interfaces (leaving everything to auto is best). This would be indicated by looking at the output of ifconfig eth0. You should have 0 errors on the interface statistics.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Ok, mrunkel that's enough. You've been passive aggressive on this issue with me in the past and it's about time it ended.

I've built a bloody business building hardware to support the software you helped create and I'll not have you calling me a moron in public any longer.

Go do your own research on the numbers of hardware platforms I've done then come back and talk to me. Until then stuff it.

Kernel load on Windows or Linux platforms is NOT reported to the user land utilities that report load. It is quite possible to have a network driver on both platforms so busy the system is all but hard locked and not see a load of more than .5 on a machine.

Beyond all that, I've proven on too many installs to count that realtek software trash interfaces have hard bandwidth caps well below their listed line speeds.

I will admit this installation appears to have issues beyond simply the interfaces, so that is a good call and one that I missed. But stop calling me a moron in public because I draw different conclusions than you.
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Me > my wife >

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast