Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Hitman Pro UTM in Untangle?

Hi guys, I guess most of the users in here know about Hitman Pro and its effectiveness.
    I recently heard about their new product:Hitman Pro UTM

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/utm

Could this be something to incorporate in Untangle? Is it possible at all?
    Do you guys think this sounds interesting?

Cheers

/E

it's a windows based app, so integrating with untangle would be hard
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

no, he's talking about their cloud-based UTM solution that runs on the router or firewall device, not the windows-based security program Hitman Pro. That said, I doubt it's any different or better than what Untangle Premium already offers.

From the hitman page:
    Existing Clients using Hitman Pro UTM

Sitecom Cloud Security is our Hitman Pro UTM technology integrated in the new Sitecom X-series 2.0 gigabit (modem) routers, to protect home networks against cybercrime

And then:
    Sitecom X-series 2.0 gigabit (modem) routers are available from mid April 2011.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Web Filter is cloud based, and has a malware category that does pretty well already.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Untanglit

I know Untangle already have this kind of feature, that is not the point.
    The point is to be able as a costumer to choose what "cloud vendor" I would like to use: (Commtouch or Hitman Pro), if not both.
    (If it is possible to incorporate in Untangle of course.)
    This comes down to how the admin of a network like to set up his security, based on hardware, connection to the Internet etc.
    I for one would be very happy to see this come true, as I install Untangle as my first choice of protection, both as firewall and as transparent filtering service.

/E

Master Untangler

To be worth the effort and license cost though, it would have to be demonstrated somehow that having Hitman UTM available brings some tangible benefit that would bring more sales to Untangle. Choice for the sake of choice isn't a reason to expend developement resources or pay for a licensing agreement.

That and I believe Untangle has said they won't have competing offerings in the lineup.

Choice is great, but choice is also complexity. Untangle is anti-complexity. So in some ways, Untangle is anti-choice.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Master Untangler

of course, Untangle is still open-source, which means anyone is free to write a module to integrate Hitman. Perhaps the OP should bring this to the attention of Hitman - surely they could do it. I seem to recall that there was at least one 3rd party untangle add-on module at one time, though I don't know how one would even go about loading such a thing.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    To be worth the effort and license cost though, it would have to be demonstrated somehow that having Hitman UTM available brings some tangible benefit that would bring more sales to Untangle. Choice for the sake of choice isn't a reason to expend developement resources or pay for a licensing agreement.
    I guess having the name of Hitman Pro in your lineup will bring more sales to Untangle.
    Another benefit would be a drastic raise in detection of malware.
    (check the RAP comparison in the text below)

Today I asked Hitman Pro if they had any comparison done with other UTM boxes and this is what they answered:

"Thank you for your question on HitmanPro.UTM, currently available in most routers from manufacturer Sitecom Europe.

Below a short comparison on the price/performance ratio offered by our UTM technology and some business AV filtering solutions.

HitmanPro.UTM on Sitecom devices (WLR-6000), ~90 Mbps AV throughput EUR 130,00

4 engines (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, Ikarus, HitmanPro), 12 million signatures

Barracuda Web Filter 210, ~5 Mbps AV throughput EUR 2.000,00

2 engines (ClamAV, Barracuda), 1+ million signatures

Zyxel ZyWALL USG300, ~48 Mbps AV throughput EUR 1.250,00

2 engines (Kaspersky, Zyxel), 3.200 signatures (max)

Juniper SRX220 with Sophos AV, ~35 Mbps AV throughput EUR 2.650,00

2 engines (Sophos, Juniper)

Cisco ASA 5510 Anti-X-Edition, ~150 Mbps AV throughput EUR 5.450,00

1 engine (Trend Micro), 3.200 signatures (max)

About the detection ratio, check out the latest RAP comparison from research lab Virus Bulletin: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml

Notice that 3 engines mentioned in the comparison are in the top right corner (best reactive and proactive protection).

Well try to make a movie soon to give users an idea on what to expect. But its fast and light weight you wont notice anything in your web browsing experience. And when you turn on the advertisement blocker in our UTM technology, you can even surf 3 to 5 times faster than using a different high performance router from e.g. NETGEAR or Cisco Linksys.

A nice consumer movie about our technology here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCSzqBebcSA

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Mark Loman

www.hitmanpro.com"

I hope this could clarify a bit and let the discussion continue.

Cheers

/E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast