Default How to track Internet Usage by IP Address or user

Recently I had my broadband usage go through the roof for a period of 24 hours and only discovered this when I checked my ISP and the daily untangle report. The reports only gave me a total usage for my router address 10.0.0.1 not the individual IP address of the users, is there any way I can tell which IP address is causing the problem in Untangle or do I need to install another monitor such as nTOP? After resetting all the laptops with network monitors I worked out my son had loaded software that was constantly uploading to the internet which is now blocked until he solves the problem.

Untangel is a great product and I have been using it for 2 years.

I have tried several times to use untangle as a router with the belkin router HDCP turned off and computers do not recieve IP addresses from untangle.

My set up is as follows Thompson Speedtouch 530 Modem - Untangle 6.01 in bridge mode on AMD 1.8 CPU, 2Gig Ram and 80Gig HDD - Belkin 801g Router which supports a Freenas Server, one hardwired PC and 5 x 801g wireless laptops suppoted by WPA Encryption and MAC address filtering with SSID broadcast off.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. Paul

Your untangle reports should break things down by internal IP address. If they aren't doing this, you have the unit installed incorrectly.

We need more detail about your installation and where UT is installed.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

What information do you need about the setup other than previously supplied

"My set up is as follows Thompson Speedtouch 530 Modem - Untangle 6.1 in bridge mode on AMD 1.8 CPU, 2Gig Ram and 80Gig HDD - Belkin 801g Router which supports a Freenas Server, one hardwired PC and 5 x 801g wireless laptops suppoted by WPA Encryption and MAC address filtering with SSID broadcast off"

Untangle was installed straight off the CD using freeware products. Where in the untangle daily reports will I find the IP addresses?

Thanks for your response. Paul

You wont, like I said your setup is borked... and you provided just want I wanted to see!

So your network map is this:

Internet -> DSL Router (NAT device) -> UT Bridge -> Belkin Router (NAT Device) -> Clients

The problem is you're NATing twice. The reason UT's reports only show the Belkin is because the Belkin is doing it's job..

Here's what you do...

I assume that Thompson is doing DHCP? If so, UT has a static IP address on the Thompson internal network segment. The Belkin router has a WAN IP address on the same segment either staticly or dynamically assigned.

You need to wipe out, the WAN configuration in the Belkin, set it DHCP, ANYTHING but static, we don't want that interface to have an address. Then, reset the LAN ip address on the Belkin to be something in the Thompson's workable range, and disable the DHCP service in the Belkin.

At this point, yank the wire out of the wan port on the belkin and plug it into the switch side of the belkin. Yes, the internet plug on the belkin is empty.

What this will do, is eliminate the second stage nat, and the second internal network you've created behind the belkin. At that point, your clients will get DHCP configuration from the Thompson, and be considered local clients to that device, and also local to the UT. With the Belkin's NAT out of the way, UT will be able to see the actual IP address of the devices attached to the Belkin.

Your network map just went from:
    Internet -> DSL Router (NAT device) -> UT Bridge -> Belkin Router (NAT Device) -> Clients
    to
    Internet -> DSL Router (NAT Device) -> UT Bridge -> Clients
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Thanks for your reply again, this definitely seems to be the problem, I checked the speedstream and it is in DHCP mode so I will follow your instructions and list the results. Thanks again