Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Trixbox and Untangle as Router

Hello all,

I have decided to try to eliminate my m0n0wall box and replace it exclusively with Untangle. My problem is that I have some remote phone extensions off site that are getting no voice when answered. This is a common problem with forwarding ports such as 4569, 5060-5082 and 10000-20000 to trixbox correctly. I went through the pain and have this working great with m0n0wall but now moving to Untangle the game starts over of course to figure this all out again.

I have setup port forwarding for the ports I mentioned to be directed to the trixbox on the non-broadcast-IP side and also setup firewall rules but nothing seems to work 100% so far on the remote side (off site). I'd just hate to go back to m0n0wall or to have to use Untangle in bridge mode because I am trying to save on electric running only one box for the firewall and other goodies that Untangle has. My remote extensions can generate and pickup calls fine. I just hear no voice. This is the problem.

Just wondering if anyone has already tackled this issue. Locally things work fine making and receiving calls in that all of my phones on the internal side have no issues and can make, receive and hear voice etc.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Art

You are most likely going to need to create bypass rules for the ports you are using for the VoIP traffic so that traffic doesn't have to be processed by the UVM.
    Vote here to have wireless included in Untangle.

Thank you Silver Bullet,

I will look into that and post any successes. I need to either have someone at the remote site or be there myself to test otherwise I can't really tell if my changes are doing any good.

Thanks!

Art

I would search the forums for the info on how to disable the NAT VoIP helpers. Your trixbox can do this work and it will end up making things easier to troubleshoot.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Yes, removing SIP helpers did work for getting the audio to work extension to extension but not with trunks. I am running 2 UVM's. One has my trixbox (asterisk) w/local SIP phones. The other remote UVM router has 2 extensions that do register with the server but cannot make or receive trunk calls with voice. I mean they dial, ring and receive calls fine, just no voice when you say "Hello, hello" "Hello"! Can you hear me now?

Removing SIP helpers did help things work correctly extension to extension but still no joy with trunk calls in or outbound for the remote extensions. I decided to remove SIP helpers on the remote UVM box (BIG MISTAKE) in hopes that this was the final barrier to the audio problems. Now the remote extensions won't even register in the trixbox "panel" as active.

From what I understand version Untangle 6.1 should resolve much of this (general SIP and PBX issues) with a few menu toggles versus needing to edit files and modules manually. For now I will rebuild the remote UVM (should have G4U'd it when it was sort of working!) and then try again. If no luck then temporarily I will probably go back to m0n0wall which did work correctly until UVM 6.1 is deployed officially. Alternatively I may run m0n0wall with UVM in bridge mode but that sort of defeats the point of trying to run a single UVM machine.

Thanks again!

Art

If yanking the remote SIP helpers tossed your remote phones into the bit bucket... you need to reevaluate the configuration on those phones and your PBX. You don't have the NAT helping software in Trixbox configured correctly, and those phones aren't setup quite right either.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Well first of all my Trixbox works fine with remote extensions if I use my m0n0wall as the router so I am confident that it is not a Trixbox configuration issue. The whole problem is when I switch routers to Untangle. Now with version 6.1 of Untangle installed and SIP helpers on or off makes no difference to remote extensions. My Trixbox is at a non broadcast IP on my LAN of 192.168.x.1. I have tried to create bypass rules to pass ports 4569 (AIX), 5060-5082 (SIP EXTENSIONS) and 10000-20000 (VoIP Voice Streams). Also, I have setup rules for firewall and tried even disabling the firewall. Still no luck. I printed out my m0n0wall config and tried to apply it to Untangle as reasonable but it is still not working. In fact remote extensions don't even show up on my Trixbox panel let alone voice working with 6.1. Before with older 6.0 the extensions did show up and it was just a voice stream issue where the phones could make and receive calls but just no voice when the handset was picked up.

Locally (behind the firewall) everything works fine still all local extensions work as they should 100% and trunks make solid connection with my remote VoIP provider. No problems making or receiving calls on the server side. Just remote extensions not registering now. Again, if I swap routers on the server side (UVM/Trixbox side) to the old m0n0wall everything comes back fine with no adjustments to the Trixbox. All extensions remote and local register and all voice streams work.

Thanks again in advance for any suggestions and replies.

Art

I just wanted to add that the whole point of replacing the m0n0wall is to run a single machine as the firewall with the addition of the UVM features and protection.

Thanks

Art

Any other ideas?

I did look at my NAT settings in Trixbox but everything looks good with real IP, LAN address etc.

Still no luck here.

Thanks

Art

Untanglit

Can you post your sip_nat.conf

Thanks
    Codeblue, New Zealand
    L1, 36 Bryce St
    Hamilton
    +64 7 9292200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast