Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is Pandora.com blocked?

It seems odd that the firewall would block this page from displaying properly. When the firewall is set to pass, the page loads, and the content displays just fine. When the firewall is set to block, the page doesn't finish loading.

It's not an issue with protocol. It is certainly related to the firewall. It's not an issue with swf files, those show fine. It's not an issue with port 80 or 8080.

Does anybody know why this one particular site fails to load its content when I have the firewall set to block?

I would check your firewall logs and see what rule is blocking it and change that rule.

if its the default block add a temporary block rule at the bottom that blocks and logs.
    figure out what port the traffic is using...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

It's simply port 80. Port 80 is open and works for other pages, and doesn't work with this page.

The solution was once again, to reboot the machine that untangle was on. Once again untangle mysteriously acts up, and once again, a reinstall or a reboot is required.

Does pfsense require a reboot every time? Does smoothwall?

Thanks for your help anyway.

Master Untangler

I have my FW rule to block all and I'm able to view the page and listen to music. You might want to isolate and create a pass rule to the machine you're trying to access pandora.com

Good Luck

Master Untangler

Pandora's player works on https port 443. So open port 443 if you want pandora to load properly. (I had a hard time blocking this bandwidth hog)

Master Untangler

Pandora works fine behind UT.

Quote Originally Posted by sa_un View Post
    Pandora's player works on https port 443. So open port 443 if you want pandora to load properly. (I had a hard time blocking this bandwidth hog)
    Thank you for that information.

It turns out I didn't need it though. A reboot of my untangle box caused Pandora to work (and it continues to work), even though I made no such changes. But your info might be good for others.

I'll be glad when UT is out of beta and they can fix problems like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbonia View Post
    I'll be glad when UT is out of beta and they can fix problems like these.
    Did you figure out what the problem was? If not, it definitely won't be fixed.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Did you figure out what the problem was? If not, it definitely won't be fixed.
    Never did. I had to reboot UT for a different issue, and that also caused Pandora to work correctly. After a few more mysterious issues like that, I simply junked UT and put in pfSense. And now Pandora works fine.
    Last edited by Badbonia; 05-19-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Master Untangler

I think that if your firewall is in block mode, then you do need to open those https ports for any https sites to work. My firewall is in pass mode, so I can't be too sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast