Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Installing Hyper-V Integration Components

I've offically been beating my head against the wall for days on this problem.

I have tried absolutely everything to get the Linux Integration Components installed.

I have a questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

The primary reason I can not get the integration components installed is because of the kernel version (2.6.26). Untangle is stuck in between two versions where I can not install integration components. I could install on 2.6.18 and older, or 2.6.27 and newer. Native support is available in 2.6.32.

But, all attempts to downgrade or upgrade have failed. I understand some things change with iptables in the newer kernel versions. However, I cannot understand why 2.6.27 nor 2.6.18 will work. Can anybody offer any advice if this is possible, and what I am missing? What happens is that the system boots, but all network activity is locked down.

Thanks.

It's never going to work. Untangle runs a custom Linux kernel.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    It's never going to work. Untangle runs a custom Linux kernel.
    Translation, until Microsoft gives us the ability to compile addins against custom kernel source, you're SOL.

That is the one thing that kills Hyper-V... it's an MS only solution. Works great for virtualizing Windows boxes. It doesn't do other OSs worth crap.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Untangler

Actually it runs untangle quite well, even without the integration components, you just can't do mouse capture in a remote desktop to a server or administrator machine, you have to run admin tools on the box you want to admin from to grab console, but you're left with legacy nics that untangle can't tell you status on. Have this running on various intel hardware quite happily.

Yeah it works, it just doesn't work as well as it should.

If Microsoft wants to seriously compete in the hypervisor market they need to officially support more operating systems than their own. Fortunately, we have VMWare eating their lunch in that segment, so over time I'm sure MS will get their act together and fix it.

Microsoft is many things, but they aren't stupid, and they know how to compete. I really look forward to them going toe to toe with VMWare, because both products will benefit. And XEN, they are all getting much better, and cheaper.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

I'm trying to use without mouse integration however I cannot select radio buttons in initial setup screen. How did you get around that?

Also is there anyway to manage it remotely?

I don't really understand how this is installed on a Linux guest (especially Untangle).

Untangle Ninja

Firebrain there is no installation on the "VM" just the Hyper-V server.
    It then use Dynamic Datacenter Toolkit.

I have no Hyper-V server to play with otherwise i would try it.

Thanks but this solution is too much for me. I'm not familiar with compiling and building install packages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)