Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Can't access my security camera DVR behing Untangle

Hello,
    We recently installed a camera surveillance system in our restaurant. The cameras all connect to one DVR and can be viewed through the software included in the package. Supposedly, the software can be loaded on a machine and viewed remotely but I can't seem to get my Untangle firewall to let me see it. It uses DDNS for remote viewing and assigned a domain name for us automatically: ddnsxx-xx-xx.dvrdomain.com. I've, of course, tried putting this address in on the remote settings and can get no connectivity. I typed it into firefox with HTTPS:// before it and it redirected me to the Untangle login screen. I'm still a novice with Untangle and port forwarding but I think I got it close.

This is how I have things setup:

16 cameras --> 1 DVR
    DVR has local IP address and can be viewed locally with no problem
    DDNS setting on DVR:
    Server: dvrdomain.com
    Port: 95
    Domain Name: ddnsxx-xx-xx.dvrdomain.com
    Admin port: 5920
    Audio/Video port: 5921
    Web Port: 80

Port forwarding on Untangle:
    Destined Local
    Destination Port: 95
    Protocol: TCP
    Source Address: ddnsxx-xx-xx.dvrdomain.com

New Destination: 192.168.1.xxx (IP address of DVR)
    Port: 80

So, am I even close? Do I need to make port forwards for the Admin and Video ports as well?

Hopefully, someone can make sense of this mess for me because the boss wants to be able to watch his employees from his house and doesn't want to hear technical explanations of why he can see it already.

looks like you have an error on your port forward. You will need to use the IP address. Also, you don't use the source address. If you only have 1 external IP address from your ISP, you don't need to specify an IP address. Untangle knows to port forward the external to the internal.
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

OK, so I removed the Source Address, so now I have this:

Destined Local

New Destination: 192.168.1.XXX

After I did this I am now able to ping the ddnsxx-xx-xx.dvrdomain.com which just gave timeouts before. Still not able to see it through the software though but I'm not actually offsite right now trying it. Will that make a difference?

Just wanted to make sure you are using the port in the URL(?):

https://ddnsxx-xx-xx.dvrdomain.com:95

If you're getting the Untangle login page, then your probably hitting the admin port, which defaults to port 443

There's another problem...

Every DVR system I've ever worked with requires 3 ports to be forwarded. The webservice, and two others that do the video streaming. You need to check the documentation for your DVR to get this straight.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Untanglit

I'm still not getting any connectivity with or without the port number included. I was wondering about having to do three port forwards as well since it gives me three different ports for different functions. So, do I set those additional port forwards up the same way that my existing one is configured?

I really appreciate you guys taking time to help with this because I've been stuck for a few days now.

Yes, and are you using GeoVision by chance?
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

No, it's not GeoVision, as far as I can tell it's just called Central monitoring System for Cantek DVR systems. I've checked the documention, which is almost nil, and they don't say anything about port forwarding at all.

Oh that's going to be fun...

Some of those dedicated monstrosities won't work via NAT at all. It's entirely possible that your unit can't deal with the non standard port you've imposed as well.

My suggestion? Screw the port forwarding, setup OpenVPN. When you want to use the cameras fire up the openvpn client and use the internal IP address of the IVR. Why dork with NAT when you don't have to?
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Ok, I have a similar setup at home.

Can you tell me, if you type the DVR's IP into a browser what do you get?
    Does it have a built in web interface or are you forced to use the software?

Because I don't understand why you would have this rule in place:

Code:
    Destined Local

New Destination: 192.168.1.XXX
    Specifically the destination port being different than the source port, you shouldn't need to do that.

We'll get this working!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast