Default Windows 7 HomeGroup on ipv6 Support?

Hello All,

I've been using Smoothwall for about 5 years now and have loved it, but I'm also waiting for my Windows 7 disks to arrive (been using the Beta's and RC for the last year) and one of the things I'm most interested in using is setting up the HomeGroup. However, from all the research I've done, it only works on a ipv6 based Network. After finding this out, I started looking for solutions to upgrade my network to ipv6 and Untangle was one of the best looking solutions available.

I was wondering if anyone here has some information about how to make the Windows 7 HomeGroup work or the ipv6 to work on the internal network. If this is possible with Untangle, I'm going to switch to it as soon as possible.

~John

Master Untangler

I can tell you now that it does not require IPv6.

this should help you out:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...group-overview

Sorry Joe, but any searching about windows 7 HomeGroups and ipv6 will give you a few 1000 sites that mention ipv6 is a requirement for the HomeGroup setup.

Here's an interesting one talking about the problem social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/4c0770bb-247a-46d6-8267-c3715410d98f

I'm just hoping UT will be able to support the HomeGroup setup soon.

Master Untangler

The protocal might need to be enabled but you don't actually need to use it.
    I have homegroups working on both my laptops at home.
    They use the standard protocals ipv4.

Master Untangler

It is enabled on my network adaptors by default but it is not used.

It really doesn't matter either way. HomeGroup is a LAN feature that will traverse your switch and run between workstations. The internet in the US is all still IPv4 and very few ISPs give you the option of v6. Untangle doesn't need to support v6 at this time, it protects your INTERNET access. And because that mechanism will be v4 for some time... you don't need it.

The only thing I wish UT allowed v6 over was site-to-site VPN tunnels. But I suspect that is a limitation of OpenVPN more than Untangle itself.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

In any case, should you need to implement a firewall with IPv6, take a look at M0n0wall. There is IPv6 support with this very nice, lightweight firewall. You can use it in conjunction with Untangle (in bridge mode). I do.

Hope this hlps.

LD

Thanks for the info all. I tried to get it working on my network for a while where I have a mix of Win 7 RC1, Vista, XP, Ubuntu, FreeNas and other Nas setups running. However I was never able to get the Homegroups to work with just the Win7 RC1 machines. I'm hoping that when my new Win7 disks arrive this week I'll be a little more lucky with how it turns out.