Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Email errors!

Default Thunderbird send/receive issue when behing untangle

Hi there...i recent just setup untangle as transparent bridge and facing email problem when using Thunderbird. I notice also that when i disable all the modules that has email scan features Spam Blocker, Phish Blocker and Virus Blocker...am able to send/receive email again. I tried disable the individual feature within the module but it doesn't work. Have to disable all the modules. Have anyone manage to resolve this issue esp on Thunderbird email client?
    Last edited by kappa; 03-31-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Title

Hi, I am getting the same error. I am doing testing with 6.1 lenny and I use Postfix on the server and Thunderbird on the clients. It seems that only if the first message in the queue for that user in the mail server, is a spam type message (possibly bad formatted or with special characters) then that user gets the error. If the offending message is deleted on the server, then the remaining messages are downloaded.
    All 'racks' checking the message (spam, virus and phish blockers) cause the error. Tried with commercial modules (Kaspersky and ESoft) and the result is the same as the equivalent free modules.
    If the access to the server is with TLS or SSL then no error is produced - but I guess the message is not inspected on that case. I am not an expert on this area - so this are just my silly feedback - hope it helps pinpointing the culprit.

I have random issues with any mail server using pop3 with spam. I've seen that sort of thing long before I knew about UT... it was just a standard thing to get into the web mail client and start dumping out known spam until the mail client could download again.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Hi MDH, this is the first time I participate to this kind of forums, however, I can reproduce this issue (RETR) as many times as I want ... either with Firebird or with Outlook express it doesn't change. I can even send the printscreen of a message sent by Untangle or whoever try to write to me.
    The only workarround I have for the moment is to switch off The three mentionned engines (AV, SPAM & PHISH), but my main customer doesn't appreciate this workarround.
    If there's anything I can do to help this topic move forward, please do not hesitate to get back to me. Scaramouche.

Dear Mmebers of the UT community, I'm writing once again on the (RETR) error because in my case, I managed to fix the issue.
    I was using Outlook Express since 2001. I realised that the inbox size was higher than 2MB and after moving and splitting messages per year, I managed to get this issue fixed. I have not tried to test again with Firebird, but I guess that due to the fact that I recovered all the messages from OLExpress, the problem moved from OLEx to Firebird. Hope this note will help someone.
    Scaramouche.

Dear Members,
    We have been having this problem since installed Untangle, even after a recent update to "Build: 7.1.0~svn20091203r25213release7.1-1lenny" version took place. We use the basic package without any add-ons.
    Turning off the 3 modules (Spam, PhisBlocker, Antvirus) really helps, but then you loose these nice and important features. So we tried to find another work around. In our pursuit, additionally to the Thunderbird RETR failure we found another, even nastyer error. For those mailings, for which we use an internal mail-server behind Untangle, a VPOP3 commercial mail server, we experienced incoming mail loss on the VPOP server. We could repeat the error and checked on the real time status window of the mail server, what happens when it is retrieving mail from the internet using POP3. The receipent's address is truncated and then, because it is invalid, it is thrashed (we've set VPOP to process mailing to valid receipents addresses only). But we found one very interesting difference: this truncateing happens only to those email addresses, that uses the form of "firstname.familyname", and not to addresses WITHOUT A DOT in! This is definite! To clear misgivings I'd like to add, that we never lost any emails before and everything gets fine again without Untangle. But we like Untangle.
    Truncation usually looks like this:
    receipents email address: firstname.familyname becomes for example yname. What is sure, characters before the dot and also some afterwards get lost.
    What is more tricky, that it happens occasionally, but definitely we have some senders whose mails are more suseptible to this to happen.
    Turning off the 3 modules (Spam, PhisBlocker, Antvirus) helps here too.
    I suspect that untangle changes the email header somehow and corrupts the receipent's address field. I suggest, programmers should check what and why these three modules change in mail headers.
    Our current, and hopefully not forever needed solution to these two problems (Thunderbird RETR and receipent's address corruption) problem is to configure POP3 bypass in Untangle:
    How to set it, pls see number 9 post in thread 4374-thunerbird-retr-command-failed.
    Thanks.
    L.

I have found out that there is a 2-3 seconds delay when fetching mail, which causes some mail clients to fail. Search for my post titled " POP3 RETR and 0x800CCC90 errors - new information" as i cannot post links yet (i'm newly registered user).

Apparently now I can post links, so here it is:
    http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...formation.html

Hello,
    I do not think the delay (which is normal) causes the problem as POP uses TCP which is a stateful, connection-oriented protocol designed to tolerate delays throughout the internet.

Furthermore Thunderbird besides stating there is a RETR error, always gives error details, which is always the same for the same message to be retreived, I also suppose it is always the same to emails from the same sender, but changes from message to message from different senders and depends on the first message in the queue to be retrieved (it does not go on to fetch the second as it aborts on the first one).
    The format of the error details is in parenthesis and I suppose it is part of the header of the message to be retrieved by chance without any relevance to what is going on.
    My current Mozilla Thunderbird version is 2.0.0.23 and I had several earlier versions with all the same phenomena.
    Regards

Untangler

You may be able to disable email processing and leave your modules turned on for HTTP, FTP, etc.

Configuration > System > Protocol Settings > Disable POP3 email processing

I have a site with similar issue. Outlook 2007 POP3 clients receive Outlook error 0x800CCC90 on incoming POP3 email (Outlook 2003 POP3 clients are unaffected).

"Disable POP3 email processing" worked for me! That is, it allows Outlook to receive email. It does not fix the problem. As soon as POP3 email processing is enabled Outlook cannot receive email and generates error 0x800CCC90.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast