Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to "release" external IP from Untangle

Most if not all modern routers come with a function to "release" the IP/MAC address back to the ISP's ONT so that when a new hardware is plugged in, the ONT can simply provide new DHCP without any conflict of the old IP/MAC address. I can't seem to find this functionality in Untangle. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Typically if you power cycle the modem (unplug for few min.), it should work. If it doesn't you can contact your ISP and they should be able to reset it.
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    Typically if you power cycle the modem (unplug for few min.), it should work. If it doesn't you can contact your ISP and they should be able to reset it.
    Yes, but this is assuming that I am running a router/modem from my ISP, which I will not be, as my Untangle box is going to totally replace it. Verizon FIOS uses an ONT which itself is very similar to a router.

Are you saying that I will have to resort to having to call them if I want them to release the MAC from the ONT? This is one of the two options; it's just that it's the harder/more annoying of the 2. The other is obviously that the router can take care of that, and that's what I was wondering if Untangle could do.

You're operating under the assumption that simply releasing the IP address will free the MAC in the ISP equipment. This assumption is false 90% of the time. I'm sure there is a way to release the IP from the command line.. but I have yet to need it. I simply power cycle the modem/t1 csu/whatever and move on with my day.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    You're operating under the assumption that simply releasing the IP address will free the MAC in the ISP equipment. This assumption is false 90% of the time. I'm sure there is a way to release the IP from the command line.. but I have yet to need it. I simply power cycle the modem/t1 csu/whatever and move on with my day.
    No, I'm not assuming that releasing the IP address automatically frees up the MAC. I'm well aware of the difference between releasing an IP address and releasing a MAC address.

This is exactly what I'm saying. Almost all routers I've worked with have an option somewhere to release the MAC. Not the IP, but the MAC address. The only reason why I said "MAC/IP" is because some of the hardware manufacturers label it wrong in their config pages. But in all these cases, the option they provide does not release the IP address, because doing this is simply pointless. It releases the MAC address; this way, when you plug in new equipment, the ONT can assign according to the new MAC address. And quite unfortunately, even if I power cycle the ONT, the ISP (Verizon) is still going to have a record of the MAC address, unless either they or I release it. I'd rather that I had that power, and this was my question regarding Untangle: whether or not I am going to lose that capability running Untangle as my router.

Edit: Here's an example of my DGL-4500 router's option to release the MAC.
    http://www.support.dlink.com/emulato...vice_Info.html
    Last edited by ajm786; 11-13-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Umm no that is simply a button to release the IP address. You can't release a mac address it's hard coded into the unit!

Now, if you're arguing that Untangle should have the ability to spoof it's WAN mac address then I can agree.

Incidentally, MAC addresses aren't ever cached past the first router. In most internet configurations that "router" is the device you use to connect to your service. Power cycling that unit is usually all that is needed to allow another machine to get an address.
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Umm no that is simply a button to release the IP address. You can't release a mac address it's hard coded into the unit!

Now, if you're arguing that Untangle should have the ability to spoof it's WAN mac address then I can agree.

Incidentally, MAC addresses aren't ever cached past the first router. In most internet configurations that "router" is the device you use to connect to your service. Power cycling that unit is usually all that is needed to allow another machine to get an address.
    I think you are misunderstanding me.

The button that is shown does not release the MAC address from the router. It releases the router's MAC address from the cache of the ONT (ONT being the ISP's access point) so that the ONT is free to assign an IP address to a MAC without being tethered to the previous one. If I don't release it, the ONT won't assign an IP address except to a device that has the EXACT SAME MAC.

And yes, this has been tried and true. Verizon's FIOS ONT caches the MAC address of the device you use. If you do not instruct the router to release its MAC address from the ONT, it stays with the ONT for I don't know how long. A power cycle simply does not do the trick, even with the ONT, because it's cached past the ONT. I've already been through this before with Verizon until I realized the value of that MAC release button in my router; it's proven to be a lifesaver before.

Hopefully now you understand my question. I want to know if my Untangle box will allow me the capability to release the external interface's MAC address from the ONT, just like I showed you in the firmware emulator for my router.

You aren't releasing the MAC! You're instructing the DHCP client in the router to release the IP lease!

http://man.he.net/man8/dhclient3

Somewhere in that command is the option you want to release the lease.
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

You aren't releasing the MAC! You're instructing the DHCP client in the router to release the IP lease!

http://man.he.net/man8/dhclient3

Somewhere in that command is the option you want to release the lease.
    Why is it then that when I called Verizon the first time, the technician stated that he was going to release the MAC address from the ONT, not reset the IP lease? I see where you are going with this, but I'm just trying to cover my bases so that I'm not confused with what the Verizon tech told me.

And the ONT itself is DHCP; I don't have a static IP address. So if what you are saying is true, why is it that when I plug in a different device that has a different MAC address I don't get a different IP assigned with no problem and I have to wait for the old one to get cleared?

Because the ISP is doing arp caching on the back end. This requires a reset of equipment down the street somewhere to allow for the new address. Releasing the IP address may or may not reset that independent cache. I know out here some of the older COX network segments are still on Cisco equipment that does this... very annoying but the only way to fix it is to call and get the ISP to reset the ARP cache on your node.

To make matters worse, most T1 tech support is just clueless enough to not explain this properly. And in fairness, they shouldn't be explaining this, that kind of information is way over the head of the average mortal.
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast