Default Untangle as DHCP/DNS server

I have successfully setup UT with OpenVPN and can connect and see the internal network by IP address. The internal network is setup with UT as the DHCP server and the DNS server. The internal DNS has the domain of .local. Several machines are setup with static DNS.

When accessing the VPN with Linux. the /etc/resolv.conf file details what the VPN server is sending the client for DNS information. For some reason. the domain is being listed as gateway.2wire.com, not .local. Why would this be the case? What is more, is that the DNS server is unable to resolve any of the hosts in the .local domain.

This is the critical problem, that I cannot contact any internal machine by hostname. I even tried overriding the DNS settings in the OpenVPN Advanced tab to use the existing DNS server, but the setting seemed to be ignored. The VPN still sent the same address for the UT default DNS server, 192.168.2.1. Again, this can be seen in the /etc/resolv.conf file.

Any ideas, tips or questions welcome.

you have UT and another machine set up as DNS servers? is 192.168.2.1 the UT?

try using the FQDN.

Quote Originally Posted by hlarsen View Post
    you have UT and another machine set up as DNS servers? is 192.168.2.1 the UT?

try using the FQDN.
    Yes, 192.168.2.1 is the UT DNS server. The other DNS server is on the internal network. It can only by found by IP address. Overriding the DNS server with an IP address does not work.

I would prefrer to use the UT DNS server if it works. Currently, it does not. Further, I do not understand the reference to gateway.2wire.com, which is also a problem.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 12-10-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: fixed tag

> you have UT and another machine set up as DNS servers? is 192.168.2.1 the UT?

Another thing to check, is that the entries in the Static DNS table are exactly as follows:

machine.local 192.168.XXX.YYY

The domain is of course, .local, and machine would be the machine name. This is the way that machines are entered in the current DNS server. If your DNS table requires a different format, that would be important to know as well. Thanks for any assistance that you can give.