Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default OpenVPN Full Tunnel

Just upgraded to 9.3 and I created a new Address Pool for Full Tunnel clients to test out the new feature, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly. I was under the impression that this would allow web-traffic to be routed through Untangle from a remote location. Am I wrong? I tested this on a remote PC and had the following results:

1. DNS works for external websites and internal hosts
    2. Client can ping internal hosts but not external websites
    3. Client able to access intranet sites but not internet sites (timeout)

The process to enable this seems pretty straightforward, but I feel like I'm missing something. I'm no expert when it comes to the Routes so I'll list those here in case that's the issue:

Were the clients updated with new client files after full tunnel was enabled?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

The PC I was testing on had OpenVPN 2.2.1. I downloaded the client and re-installed it with what looked to be version 2.2.2, but I'm having the same results.

Edit: So yes, the PC was updated with the new OpenVPN client after full tunnel had been enabled.
    Last edited by CuffLink; 08-10-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Untangler

Initially, my Full Tunnel address pool and my Split Tunnel address pool were in the same subnet. I wasn't sure if there was an issue with that or not... so I created a new Full Tunnel subnet, re-installed the client on the PC again, and... same results. hhmmm

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

We're actually a paying customer. Should I send something to support? PM you our UID? Or just hold off for a while? Thanks, jcoffin.

Paying or not, this is the flagship feature of 9.3. I'm pretty sure support would love to look at it. Being a 1.0 release of full tunnel, things are bound to be a little twitchy for some.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

Quote Originally Posted by CuffLink View Post
    We're actually a paying customer. Should I send something to support? PM you our UID? Or just hold off for a while? Thanks, jcoffin.
    If you want us to look at it, yep. just shoot an email to support@untangle.com with your UID and enable remote support. if you do it now I'll add myself a full tunnel client and try it and then we'll know if its an issue with your Untangle config or your client machine config.

Other than that there isn't much to suggest.
    We need to know how your Untangle is configured, how your Client is configured, what it can and can't ping, what its routing table is, what its OS is, what software its running, etc. Doing this via the forums without information is just going to be random guesses on things to try and probably a waste of your time.
    Last edited by dmorris; 08-10-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

I sent the support email. Also, I noticed that the routes shows 172.16.X.2 as the gateway... but when I perform a tracert... the first hop is 172.16.X.1

Not sure if that's the issue or not, but something that seemed odd to me.

Thanks, dmorris!

Try now by disconnecting and reconnecting. I am posting this from your network.

"Only NAT WAN traffic" is general->config->networking->advanced->general was turned off.
    I don't know if this was done for a reason, but I would turn it back on, especially since you only have one internal network.

Unchecking that puts you into a legacy NAT mode, which is far less featureful.
    I'm positive full-tunnel will not work under any circumstances if "Only NAT WAN traffic" unchecked.
    Last edited by dmorris; 08-10-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast