Untangler

Default Feature Request Spam Blocker Blacklist

I realize that spam block does not have the option to black list and drop incoming messages from certain domains and that in earlier posts, you recommend our mail server to do the blocking. However, because of several reasons I will not get into, we journal (duplicate and archive) every message that comes in and goes out of our exchange mail server. I would appreciate the option to drop the message before it hits our server so that we do not have to archive junk messages.

Options such as bad ip addresses, domains, matching subject or body strings, etc would be a benefit.

Could someone from untangle explain if there is any interest towards this development?

Thanks

There are ways to do it from the command line but you will be tweaking the base configuration which will aggreviate UT support and void your live support warranty. Which means if 1st/2nd level helpdesk can't help you, you will not be sent to 3rd level help desk unless they really like you. 3rd level help desk is where the engineers that sleep breath and think untangle live.

http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6582

This feature request has been around forever and it is unlikely to go into UT. There are several ways to accomplish what you are asking under the hacking forums but they do require a more intimate knowledge on how spamassassin works and how to configure rules. Blocklists are useless against anything beyond a newsletter. The real spam you are just going to have to pray you can configure a rule that can match what is being thrown at you.
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

Bad IP addresses are easy, just put in a firewall rule that blocks them.

The remaining features are already a function of your mail server. Untangle is not a store and forward device. It cannot terminate SMTP traffic natively, the communications Untangle is filtering are already hitting your mail server if they are spam or not. Configuring your mail server to drop mail based on source IP, mail header, or other rules is no different than what is currently happening.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Ok...thanks. I will continue with setting up the rules on our mail server.