Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default https://facebook.com

I just want to ask how to block the facebook with https

Quick answer? You buy the premium web filter.

Long Answer? Do some DNS work and block all of Facebook's IP addresses with the firewall module.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    Intouch Technology
    Phone: 480-272-9889
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879

The smooth answer is: "we got same Microsoft's strategy, we are capitalists"
    baaah what else..=P

Anyway, this problem took Untangle's staff about 2 years on solve it, most of long term clients have solved using REAL free software....(check OpenDns.com it worth)

-:Poko:-

OpenDNS tends to make the spam filter checks go whacky. According to several posts on the forums. I never tried the openDNS and UT.
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

All public DNS servers break the ability to use Spamhaus RBL, so if you use any of those, you're SOL. That said, there are ways to configure Untangle to use your ISP's DNS and hand out the OpenDNS servers to DHCP clients.

Beyond that, it's a known limitation of the Lite Web Filter that it simply doesn't deal with HTTPs. OpenDNS isn't a solution IMHO, that's a separate filter. So if you like managing TWO content filters on your network go ahead.

Incidentally, OpenDNS isn't "free" to use in a commercial environment either. (Ok it is, but there is a lookup limit) So unless you're a home user, you're in violation of their EULA, but who cares about breaking the law when there's free stuff to be had eh?
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Default blocking https FB

I finally got the okay yesterday to block Facebook at work.

I'm trying to push management to buy the Premium package but in the meantime, I blocked the following in the Firewall (to block https)

69.63.181.0/24
    69.171.229.0/24
    69.171.228.0/24
    69.171.224.0/24

It seems to be working... so far lol

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it will be a temporary block, as I am seeing a lot larger CIDR block than /24 on those addresses that they have for IP's (Facebook owns the 69.63.176.0/20 subnet), and that only covers part of it.

dont you love it when you give someone an answer and when they dont like it and wonder why the real solution isnt free and there like OMG I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!

you cant go to McDonald and get there cheeseburger for free just because yours at home isn't as good!!!! pay for what works...you get what you pay for!!! simple as that stop being cheep

but that is just my .354654 cents worth
    I know just enough to be dangerous.....to my self only ofcourse :)

This solution does work, and it performs the process that you're paying to avoid with the Web Filter, so I don't see an issue with it.

The firewall module can be used to block access to these sites. Is it perfect? No, is the Web filter perfect? No...

The difference? The web filter dynamically categorizes the entirety of the Internet. So you're paying for the increased odds that their black list is better than yours, and you're paying for professional support of that product. If you don't need or want all that, Untangle grants you the power to make do with less.

Which to be honest, is the best part of Untangle. Get the basics now, and pay to save time later.
    Intouch Technology
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

This could be wrong or right. But here is what I figured out how to block https Facebook today. I did this all in the Firewall rules. I block the following (all with port 443). This works for my network and I am not responsible if it breaks yours. If you do find more IP's or IP blocks please post them. So far this has blocked all of Facebook for my network

69.63.167.0/20
    66.220.144.0/20
    66.220.152.0/32
    69.63.184.0/32
    69.171.224.0/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast