Default some exe's not blocked

Hello - I have esoft set to block exe, bin, dll and other executables in an effort to prevent malicious software from loading. What I have found is that certain sites will let exe download with no problem (couple of examples I've found are gotomypc.com and coffecup web tools) - most other exe's are blocked by esoft. So my question/comment is - how come? Isn't an exe an exe? Why do some go right through? Now I don't trust the filter as a way to prevent rogue, drive-by downloads from executing.

Is there a better way to prevent users who are 'clickers' to keep the bad guys from loading? I thought if I blocked all executables I'd be OK.

interesting - do you have an example site that doesn't get blocked?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Default site link

Yes- here is one example - I sent this to Untangle support and they see the same result as I got

sorry - forum won't let me post a link (don't have enough posts under my belt) - but go to coffeecup.com and download a trial version of any of their web tools.

I believe another is gotomypc.com - their exe files loads with no problem.

Bug filed #6251.
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Having a sort of same problem at our school blackboard, already did email the makers of the blackboard site etc for info. Probely the makers from the site above use also the same code etc..

I did get the source code from blackboard makers it starts when you want to download a file (that a user uploaded mostly at home) and can download in school. All files are downloadable none are scanned or blocked by untangle (virusscan, webfilter, esoft, etc)

Code:

header("Pragma: public");
    header("Expires: 0");
    header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0");
    header("Content-Type: application/force-download");
    header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"MijnApplicatie.exe\"");
    header("Content-Description: File Transfer");
    header("Accept-Ranges: bytes");
    header("Content-Length: 65536");
    print(binaire data);

The mime typy is: 'application/force-download'

But I really don't know what I must do to block a exe and not a word document... etc.
    Last edited by SMNS; 04-25-2009 at 08:37 AM.