Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not sure if that is suppose to be sarcastic or not.

However, in the case that it is I feel I should clarify my thought process a bit further.

I have worked with the people at Untangle for a bit more than a year now. During that time I've had several opportunities to pick their brains and get a good feel for the way they think.

Untangle wants their product to be easy, simple, straight forward, most importantly, they want to protect the right of the consumer to choose for themselves how thier equipment is to protect their networks.

This means that in cases like this, if there is a feature that needs requested. We the community have the power to do so. This topic specifically will get more and more attention going forward as the industry comes to terms with standardized advertising practices.

So at some point, I would expect the spyware module to gain categories similar to the web filter, to give the client further control over what does and doesn't get blocked. That day isn't today, but I'm certain it will come to be.

So the argument over what is and isn't spyware, for Untangle is largely a moot discussion. Because in the end, the product adapts.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

To me, it's simple. One of the primary vectors that spyware is coming from is advertising websites, banners, etc. Even completely "honest/legit" advertising companies have been hit with inadvertently distributing spyware.

Because of this, blocking the ad sites is an effective means to prevent spyware, I'm all for it.

Untangler

sky-knight, not being sarcastic at all. i do think untangle errs on the side of simplicity for it's own sake. i.e. searchable reports, etc

After having Untangle running for several weeks now, I have to say that I *really* wish I could turn off ad blocking in Spyware Blocker. The blocking of ads in the rack unit is causing all sorts of issues and it's redundant since we also have a dedicated Ad Blocker. I want Spyware Blocker to do two things: Block malicious ActiveX and known spyware/adware. I don't want it to block basic ads. Ads != adware. Adware implies software, not simply an ad displayed on a webpage.
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

Recently "legitimate" ad sites have been removed from the URL list because that functionality is now no longer needed because Ad Blocker does that.
    These sites include things like doubleclick and google ads etc - that are clean harmless ads.

However, tracking cookies (from these sites and others) will continue to be blocked.

If you're still getting blocked ads from "legitimate" sites you need to either submit those ads sites to be removed or email/PM them to me.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I'll have to doublecheck. I was working with a guy yesterday who had a few different sites that he couldn't get to, but now I'm not 100% sure if I was making changes in Spyware blocker or Ad Blocker. Must be old age. lol
    Disclaimer: I may or may not have had enough coffee when I'm posting. Interpret my responses thusly.

I just had Ad Blocker block an ad on a Microsoft.com page, which stopped the page from displaying. The ad was being served from clk.atdmt.com, which I think is just an ad service. I don't believe they serve up adware or spyware, but I might be wrong about that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12