Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twitter ads

Angry Twitter ads

OMG! I've noticed a huge increase in Twitter ads over the last week or so...what the hell happened? I get the feeling that Web Filter and Ad Blocker have been completely neutered, meaning for a price these apps will label you "non-intrusive advertising" and let you through...what is our next option to block ads?
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Stop using the Internet?

I worry about malware, not ads.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Stop using the Internet?

I worry about malware, not ads.
    When did "Internet" = Ads?
    Anyway, I despise malware and passionately dislike ads. I'm entirely okay not visiting sites who don't allow their 3rd party ads to be blocked, but with a high percent of malware today being delivered via malicious ads, I want a tool to block em all!
    Seems everything having to do with these "tubes" is nothing short of a very slippery slope with the price getting higher and higher!
    -------

The Internet became equal to Ads the moment web site operators realized that a web site was the new TV station. It costs money to operate those things, on a small scale it's pennies but on a large scale it's huge! Getting advertisers to pay to defray your operating costs is a no brainier.

Sadly, you're right the risk of the ads on a network are far greater than the risks of a TV ad, but such is life.

I haven't ever used Ad Blocker because of technical issues, if it blocks something while running in your browser you get a little notice and you decide if you want to allow the ads to get at the site. The user can't do that if Untangle blocks it, and more and more sites are putting the content in a position where it doesn't load if the ad doesn't. So from a technical standpoint things are getting very hard.

It really comes down to do you trust that site operator or not? If you don't, should you be viewing that site at all?

Eventually things will update and stuff will get better, and the tug of war continues. The tech is working! The ad delivery is just smarter for now.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 03-20-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    f1assistance likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

When companies like Google and The New York Times are complicit in delivering malware to you and your users, it becomes a necessity to block all advertising.

Good luck with that though.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/796...hrough-adblock
    Jim.Alles and f1assistance like this.

Untangle Ninja

Also, blocking the Marketing Services category in Web Filter has been quite effective, in addition to blocking Miscellaneous.

On to be on a network where I could get away with blocking Miscellaneous. Or Uncategorized.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.2.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    On to be on a network where I could get away with blocking Miscellaneous. Or Uncategorized.
    I know right?

Though it does ring of days of gone by when everything was blocked, you just had a whitelist.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
    Also, blocking the Marketing Services category in Web Filter has been quite effective, in addition to blocking Miscellaneous.
    BAM! Blocking the Marketing Services category in Web Filter completely addressed the issue and my Twitter/web experience is back as I expected. THX!
    I'm not exactly sure how or why this changed (I didn't do it), but suspect Zvelo may be trying to more carefully manage the filtering categories...
    FWIW, I think Untangle's Web Filter may very well be simply the best citadel, Period!
    Last edited by f1assistance; 03-21-2015 at 04:18 AM.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    FWIW, I think Untangle's Web Filter may very well be simply the best citadel, Period!
    zVelo makes the finest web categorization engine on the planet, and Untangle provides one of the most cost effective, and yet easiest to use means of accessing it!

I hadn't considered that category, I honestly didn't even see it in the list. Thanks for the tip! I've got it blocked now too, let's see how this works!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 03-21-2015 at 06:29 AM.
    f1assistance likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast