Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untanglit

Talking about been painfully slow....
    Since the upgrade to 5.2.1 I notice that the spyware blocker page does not load up at all, where one could give the temp allow option and so forth.
    It just says the site has taken to long to respond and the like of "http://192.168.2.1/spyware/detect.jsp?nonce=b8b534b652e74986&tid=27" appears as per normal.
    I have completely removed the spyware blocker and then re installed it from scratch but this still happens.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

Sheldon

Which interface are you having this problem on? eth1 or DMZ etc..

Untanglit

My internal ETH1 interface, I'm just running with 2 NICs, the internal ETH1 and external ETH0.
    Its not a big problem but I was jsut curious.
    I didn't do a fresh install of 5.2.1 , the gateway had the auto update option set, so I found that it upgraded on its own.
    It used to display the spyware info page that one could choose a temp bypass, now though no page appears at all.

A fresh install would most likely sort it out, just wondered if there was anyone who saw this happening on theirs who may have a quick dirty fix.

Thanks

Sheldon

Untangler

Something you can do that might speed things up quite a bit; change the Untangle DNS setting to use OPENDNS
    These folks are free and have a huge efficient system.

Also, Enable the DNS server in Untangle and point your users to the Untangle IP address for DNS
    (Config/Networking/DNS Server tab then checkmark the "enabled" box)

In my testing of Untangle, I found an interaction between my Netscreen box webfilter and Untangle (limits throughput to 1mb/sec), but when turning the netscreen filter off I get much higher throughput.ou may have some similar interaction.
    gr

Untanglit

Thanks Ill give that a try.
    Im wondering though if it is just "slow" or if the page for the spyware block is in fact broken.
    I'm guessing that maybe something went a tad wrong during the upgrade to 5.2.1

Thanks

Sheldon

After a couple weeks of being on ver. 5.2 and having some pages load up rather slowly, I decided I was irritated enough to invest some time into looking into the cause.

My issue is as follows:
    On certain web pages--those who like to display ads--page load times are ridiculously slow. At the bottom of my browser (FrieFox 3) I'll see the "Connecting to x.x.x.x..." message telling me that I'm waiting for a response from my Untangle server, but apparently it never comes. If I disable the Spyware Blocker, pages load at their normal speed.

I've done the SHIFT+CLICK removal and reinstallation of the Spyware module as indicated earlier in this thread with no change in funcationality noticed. After this, I've tried changing my Untangle server's DNS addresses to those suggested as well, and again no change.

As an example, I tried loading the following page: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/democrat

With the blocker turned off, it loaded in roughly 9 seconds. With the blocker turned on, it loads the page content at about 23 seconds, and finally stops trying at 2 minutes.

From what I can tell, it looks like I'm just not getting the blocked page notice that Untangle used to give. It appears the browser is requesting it, but Untangle is not supplying it in turn.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? Has there been any solutions found to alleviate the latency with the Spyware Blocker?

I'm loving my Untangle box so far, as it's performing like a champ, but I really don't want to disable the Spyware Blocker. Most users on the LAN still use IE (*shudders*) and while the computers have some security software on them, I'm all for redundancy in this regard.

mdh

I have Spyware Blocker turned on and the page load took 5 seconds. My Spyware Blocker is plain vanilla. My Web Filter is passing everything except Social Networking. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm on 5.3.

I use Untangle Build: 5.2.1~svn20080515r16294release5.2-1sarge on an XD server with all modules working. I have always used dictionary.com and it has never been slow.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anything takes a couple of seconds to load. I switched to a PC with a fresh XP PRO install (no cached pages) and it took 5 seconds.

The same was tested on a network of 50+ users, with similar results... 5 seconds or less.

Well, after reading the responses and deciding it wasn't the build, but maybe a configuration setting somewhere, I looked into it a bit more and found a fix--worked for me at least.

In Remote Admin Config -> Access -> Restrictions, I had Internal Remote Administration set to Disallow. When I changed this to Allow, the dictionary.com loaded up as expected. I checked other websites that were loading slowly (including the ones listed by the OP) and they all loaded as expected.

I'm going to guess that this is not an intended functionality, but at least it's working now.

Untanglit

itlacky thank you thank you thank you, oh and did I remember to say "thank you"!

I just though, what the hey, I'll try this myself, now suddenly the Spyware Blocker webpage shows up, this makes sense since I think I did change it to disallow before I started seeing this issue but would never have guessed that it should have such a result.

At least its all working as before now.

Thanks again

Sheldon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12