Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default URL block list problems

Since the upgrade to Ver 5.2.1 we are having issues with the Spyware Blocker.

Enabling the Blocked Lists > URL list (enabled) is bringing sites like
    usatoday.com
    aol.com
    drudgereport.com
    and others to a grinding hault.

The one thing these sites have in common is that they push a lot of ads from servers that show up in the blocked events list.

Disabling the URL List allows these sites to load normally, but I don't want to have to disable that. Sort of defeats the purpose of using Untangle.

This was not an issue before the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2

Any advice or suggestions. The natives here are getting restless.
    I appreciate any help.
    Thanks!!

these sites don't load? http://aol.com/ http://usatoday.com/

?

can you provide a screenshot?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    these sites don't load? http://aol.com/ http://usatoday.com/

?

can you provide a screenshot?
    They do load eventually, but they are painfully slow or take an unreasonable amount of time to load.

My UT box is in bridge mode.
    T1 router > Firewall > UT > switched network.

mdh

I just thought I would see why they suck so bad. I checked both around 7pm Pacific time. The main page on usatoday.com is 302KB of content, 250 hyperlinks, and 28 different web site involved. That's 28 unique hits on DNS. aol.com is 218K of content, 242 hyperlinks and 74 different hits required on DNS.

If your DNS server is not screaming, or your connectivity isn't the best, avoid sites like these two, CNN, MSN, and Yahoo. The portals want to keep you there so they can sell you the products from their advertisers, and in order to do that, they all want to have every bell, whistle, and flashing light possible to dazzle you. If all of those embellishments ever actually get loaded before you lose interest, chances are that by then you forgot what you went there for.

By the way, don't forget that they will be spewing new graphical content on you on a regular basis to keep you interested. That will be continually eating your bandwidth too. And the grand prize is that if you are doing this in a corporate setting, your boss may think you have nothing better to do than sit in front of your computer and spend all day looking at these web sites when you had work to do.

I was beginning to get really impressed with the stats you were posting and then I saw these numbers...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    avoid sites like these two, CNN, MSN, and Yahoo.
    Where did you learn to count?

Are you drinking again?

mdh

That's the two mentioned before that, then the three after that. Gimme a break, I've been here since Sausage McMuffin O'clock! Either I've missed you or you've been keeping a low profile lately!

Either I've missed you or you've been keeping a low profile lately!
    Been really busy. I've been trying to peak in the forums when I can. Just haven't had time to answer many posts.

Untanglit

And the grand prize is that if you are doing this in a corporate setting, your boss may think you have nothing better to do than sit in front of your computer and spend all day looking at these web sites when you had work to do.
    MDH thanks, I was aware of the content and all the ad servers. I believe it is the ad servers that are killing the pages. We didn't have a problem using UT 5.0.
    As for the Boss, we are a media and communications company. Part of what we do is monitor sites like these. Breaking News, Current Events, Trends and Hot Topics... etc.

If there are no other options, I man have to reinstall ver 5.0 or abandon UT altogether. I've also noticed a couple other "quirks" about 5.2 that I need to figure out.

mdh

As far as the quirks, do some looking around on the forums to see if they have already been addressed. With regard to the heavy content pages, once you have loaded an image, you just be able to get it from your browser cache --- unless the content has changed or you are running really lean on cache. That should speed it up. Another problem could be the response time of your DNS servers. If your browser doesn't know where to go to resolve the URL, it has to go to internal DNS (if you have one). No internal, it goes external, and if you do have internal DNS but it doesn't have the entry, it must go external. If external doesn't have it, it has to go upstream as well. Those may be at play there.

Untanglit

Thanks MDH for the input.
    I rolled back and installed ver 5.0.3 again for now until I can get time to figure out what's happening.

[To Be Continued]

thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast