Default Adblocker....why can't i block these ads? is it Https that is preventing it?

Good evening Untangle forum and employees! Hope you are enjoying spring wherever you are.

We are getting reports from our users that they are starting to see inappropriate ads on the sides of sites like youtube. (not the embedded commercial video ads that play before the youtube video plays).

We thought it was just an error, but were able to duplicate it. Seems that inspecting the source on the page shows that the ad is coming from https://tpc.googlesyndication.com. Yikes.

We have both "Categorize HTTPS traffic by IP address" & "Categorize HTTPS traffic by SNI (Server Name Indication) information if present" turned on in our webfilter rack.

• We tried to block it by adding tpc.googlesyndication.com to the adblocker list. that did not work.
    • We added tpc.googlesyndication.com to our web filter list. but that is not Https, so that did not work either.
    • I read in another forum that we we should turn on the marketing category in the web filter, but that did not work either. (which makes sense since it says it won't block ads).
    • We ran a traceroute on googlesyndication.com to get the ip address then added it to the block list manually in webfilter. That did not work.
    • Then we added tpc.googlesyndication.com and http://www.googleadservices.com to the ad blocker list. That did not work.
    • then aded ad.doubleck.net and the ip address to both the ad filter and web filter.

all of this and the ads still show when we refresh the page on the client's machine. Any ideas?

is this because ads are delivered over https now? If so....when will https ads be blocked?

got any other suggestions? i am open to ideas. screenshot attached

keith

Capture.PNG

For ad blocker to scan HTTPS you need to install and configure SSL Inspector to inspect that traffic.

Yes, thats a huge PITA just to block ads.
    Refer to warning on Ad Blocker page.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

ok....found the answer! Seems that i was supposed to load it in adblocker likin this format:

*.googlesyndication.com*
    *.doubleclick.net*

with those loaded, the ad is gone. as seen in the screenshot below. after some browsing, Looks like everything else is still working correctly. good stuff!

Capture2.PNG

thanks! i don't see that as an option for the rack...so i am guessing we are too many versions behind. Still on 9.4.2 somehow - even with automatic upgrades turned on. is that why i don't see SSL inspector?

There is no automatic upgrade from 9.x to 10.x, you need to push that box over and reinstall with v12, then reconfigure manually. 9.x is a time bomb at this point... you NEED TO PAVE THAT BOX.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Correct. 9.4.2 has been end of life since last year.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by worldchanger View Post
    Still on 9.4.2 somehow -
    ouch
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.