Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdyguy View Post
    Actually, I'm a k-12 ed. customer and have been running Ad blocker for 4 years now without issue. It's been great, to be honest. I also pushout the Adblock extension to all my users chrome accounts as well, so we're double blocking!
    Adblocking is really a requirement these days IMO.

You could use OpenDNS, tick off WebSpam+Adware categories, then use the 'hidden' trigger to turn on Advertisement Blocking. Ironically they've removed the checkbox, but there is a covert way to enable it. Once that is done you can further improve it by adding the 'big 20' ad domains/hosts and a huge majority will be blocked at the DNS level.

I've also been looking into running a PiHole on my network devoted exclusively to adblocking. But the reality is - I think Untangle should really do this a whole lot better. Or provide a method to subscribe to our OWN databases such as iBlocklist with a triggered/scheduled task to update the database. Right now it feels so half baked and useless it's almost insulting.

Finally on the browser level, uBlock works, but I prefer blocking 'before' the browser but don't care to install Adguard for Windows due to potential conflicts with another FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdyguy View Post
    I also push out the Adblock extension to all my users' chrome accounts as well
    That helps explain why you don't see as many problems. The Adblock client will block the add before Untangle has a chance to see it.

I've tried Adblocker here a few times (not recently, admittedly), and it always ends up causing intermittent problems on random ad-supported sites. On a home network, that would be no big deal and probably rare enough I wouldn't care, but it was too much trouble chasing those down on a larger semi-public network.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 03-30-2016 at 08:59 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Banned

The oddity is - adblocker causes more issues for us then running uBlock or something. Strange. Almost like a signature discrepancy.

Ideally we should just be able to import whatever filter lists we like into Untangle and go from there. I've run a couple other UTM's that allow you to point to sites like iBlocklist and drag off relevant lists from there, this is a feature I sorely miss in Untangle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12