Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ad's are a real threat, can we get an improved adblocker module?

Malvertising is pretty huge right now. Requiring some pretty ridiculous work on the enterprise level to assist in reducing the threat surface of malvertising. Some companies 'wholesale' install uBlock on their PC's. Some enterprise grade endpoint suites are starting to offer some level of adblocking (Trend, etc). Also some UTM's are starting to offer it.

I long for the day when I can have a 'real' adblocking solution my gateway. Wouldn't it be easy to pull the full, updated Easylist from the repository and auto-update that? I haven't run into a false-positive block with Easylist in months. It's solid, I can confidently install it in uBlock without issue.

Right now Adblocker w/default filtration list does virtually nothing. Literally. Rather than warning people against it and not supporting it why not just integrate EasyList into it and move on? With EasyList I could remove all ad-blocking technologies on my LAN and not think about the issue again.

Ad Blocker gets the rules from easylist.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Adblocker only blocks http adresses. That is why I use web filter to block some of the adservers that are listed as https/port 443.
    That said. I think adblocker does a good job for what it "CAN" block.

It's my understanding that given SSL Inspector, Ad Blocker works on HTTPs as well.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Ad Blocker gets the rules from easylist.
    Easylist has something like 65,000 rules. Adblocker has like 13,000ish.

Is it recommended (safe) to 'Update Filters' in the Options tab of Ad Blocker?

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I would LOVE a good ad blocker in Untangle, but I've come to realize that this is something best done at the client instead of at the gateway. Too many sites just don't load correctly if ads served into a page are blocked. The gateway doesn't have the easy ability to coordinate between those sessions, and so meaningful ad blocking at that level will almost always cause problems for users. Clients running in the browser are in much better position to filter ads without ruining the page.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangle Ninja

Businesses/nonprofits have an easier time than educational and general public settings, I suspect. We've run ad blockers at the gateway for a long time with no serious outcomes, probably just because our traffic is more focused.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Businesses/nonprofits have an easier time than educational and general public settings, I suspect. We've run ad blockers at the gateway for a long time with no serious outcomes, probably just because our traffic is more focused.
    Actually, I'm a k-12 ed. customer and have been running Ad blocker for 4 years now without issue. It's been great, to be honest. I also pushout the Adblock extension to all my users chrome accounts as well, so we're double blocking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast