Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I ad block with browser plugins, far more reliable and easier to undo the damage when sites misbehave.
    Ad Blocker has a place. I realize that bashing Ad Blocker is a popular sport here, but it's a little old. My April summary is so far, "Ad Blocker detected 3049 ads and blocked 2580 ads and 9115 cookies." If that works for me as a baseline of filtering, and if my pass sites list is empty, then Ad Blocker is an asset. It's not complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Ad Blocker has a place. I realize that bashing Ad Blocker is a popular sport here, but it's a little old. My April summary is so far, "Ad Blocker detected 3049 ads and blocked 2580 ads and 9115 cookies." If that works for me as a baseline of filtering, and if my pass sites list is empty, then Ad Blocker is an asset. It's not complicated.
    It's not useless, it's just not useful either. In a properly configured network it's bored, because other things caught the ad first. But there's no reason to not have it there as a final check.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

In a properly configured network it's bored, because other things caught the ad first.
    Such as?

Such as?
    As has already been mentioned, use of Web Filter.

You simply will never get more content control than you do with the module designed for that purpose.
    NexgenAppliances.com

As has already been mentioned, use of Web Filter.

You simply will never get more content control than you do with the module designed for that purpose.
    Ad Blocker is content control with specific and customizable targets (ads and cookies) and detailed reporting on its outcomes. Its whitelisting feature (given that not all identified ads are blocked) provides the benefit of reducing the number of broken sites.

The approach comes down to preference and the desired granularity of control, not proper network configuration. A network that uses Ad Blocker over Web Filter isn't misconfigured.

Ad Blocker is content control with specific and customizable targets (ads and cookies) and detailed reporting on its outcomes. Its whitelisting feature (given that not all identified ads are blocked) provides the benefit of reducing the number of broken sites.

The approach comes down to preference and the desired granularity of control, not proper network configuration. A network that uses Ad Blocker over Web Filter isn't misconfigured.
    Yes it is, because the former cannot classify nearly as many sites. The whitelisting is equally easy too.

If you're going to use one module, you use Web Filter, if you want to use both... that's fine too, but don't be surprised when the latter is bored.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Yes it is, because the former cannot classify nearly as many sites.
    No it isn't, for precisely that reason. Web Filter treats everything the same; to it, everything is equal. If I want to exempt a site from ad filtering, I can't do that selectively. It's all or nothing. And Web Filter tells me nothing about cookies being blocked, or even if they are being blocked.

We are going to disagree on this. That fine.

I agree with Sam. Ad blocking is different then filtering web categories.
    Ad blocker could shine a lot more as it is now compared to adguard, pihole, Pfblockerng etc.
    I think it should be working a lot better when using DNS BL as a blocking method.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12