Untanglit

Default Myspace and Facebook really this bad?

I was just browsing through my pfsense darkstat logs and noticed connections to IPs that seemed very strange. This kicked me in the butt to get Untangle finally in place on my home network so I can get a better view.

Anyway things are all quiet and running nice until all of a sudden my sister in law heads on over to Myspace and Facebook and within about 10 minutes I see 181 incidents of spyware and 12 urls blocked. Now I have read a little that there is quite a number of viri and such on these sites but WOW. Is it really this bad or what is Untangle seeing that it thinks is spyware? I don't frequent the pages so I'm not sure.

Any input would be appreciated.

Curt

mdh

The hacker generation loves MySpace and Facebook almost as much as they love Microsoft.

Master Untangler

MySpace and FaceBook are the hub for adware and spyware. UT is just doing its job

mdh

Quote Originally Posted by dknyinva View Post
    MySpace and FaceBook are the hub for adware and spyware. UT is just doing its job
    Not to mention people who have no design sense, poor taste, bad judgment and think they have a website because they're on MySpace. Nothing like 42-point blinking red on an orange and yellow undulating background.

Oh...I'm sorry. I'm being sarcastic again.

Untangler

Don't forget we get work either blocking it or cleaning up the PCs afterwards, so it is not all bad. I am always amazed that people don't realize that employers or potential employers look at these sites. That is why I usually have to block them except for the HR dept. Not to mention all the personal profile information being collected. What a world.

mdh

Very true...the people/companies we complain about the loudest are the ones that pay our way through life.

Untangler

Yep..Most of my Customers now want MySpace and FB blocked...

I've seen perfectly working and happy computers reduced to get the disks and format with a single visit to mySpace. So yeah, it is that bad.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Yep. I have seen the same thing myself.