Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 9.1 build4 available!

http://download.untangle.com/untangl...build4_x32.iso
    http://download.untangle.com/untangl...build4_x64.iso
    Give it a try!

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/9.1_Changelog

Enjoy!

note:
    This also means the new version will be rolled out soon.
    If you do not want 9.1, upgrades, changes, enhancements, etc.
    It is recommended that you turn off automatic upgrades at this time.
    With upgrades off you continue to receive signature updates and you can choose if/when you upgrade.

changes:
    The changes from build3 to build4 is that we fixed a bug related to event logs and database indexes and
    a bug with the emails showing up in reports.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

There should be a changelog between the different builds!

Untangle Ninja

Nice work dev team!
    Can i use this build to create the VMs?

If we don't see anything posted here in the next 48 hours I'd say it's good to go.

I'm getting calls from customers with the 32gb SSD devices I sell. Units that have received the upgrade fill the drive and the device reports "bad blocks" on reboot.

The solution is a reimage, which isn't that big of a deal but there isn't much stopping them from upgrading unless they turn up auto upgrades.

I need to spend some time with it this week and see if I can't duplicate an upgrade crash on the 32gb drive I have. The partitioning at that level is simple / and swap, so I can't imagine that being the cause.

The bulk of these units have been in service for awhile, so I figured we had a log file that ate the drive thanks to a bad 8.1.1 upgrade in one case, but I'm getting more and more calls. I just had a unit die that was installed just before Thanksgiving as well. That one may be something else, I'm still investigating.

Any reason any Dev can think of that a 32gb drive would puke the upgrade?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

That was my device that blew up over the weekend. Automatic upgrades were turned off. I got a call from my boss over the weekend that he could not access the network (we're on a SLA 6/6 internet connection so it was unlikely our internet connection).

I had my boss plug in the KVM cables and he saw an error message on the console (wish I had a pen and paper so I could have written it down - I was at a birthday party at the time).

I tried rebooting it into hardware safe mode and saw messages like: "Cannot stat the control file '/etc/untangle/monit.conf'" and "INIT: cannot execute /etc/init.d/rcS"

I ran fsck, which found and corrected errors. Rebooted but still wouldn't boot - same error messages.

I didn't have time to deal with possible hardware problems so I just swapped out the 32GB SSD and installed a locally-sourced 64GB SSD. I re-installed 9.0.2 from scratch, restored our config file and imaged the SSD onto the CF card. We're back up and running.

I had a chat with Rob a little while ago and we're not sure what went wrong. He doesn't think it was environmental (they turn our A/C off over the weekends). He's guessing the SSD isn't bad though. I'll test it when I get home to be sure. Is there *any* possibility that an update was pushed to us even though automatic updates are turned off?

I still have the 32GB SSD around if anyone wants me to look into anything.

- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joec2000 View Post
    Is there *any* possibility that an update was pushed to us even though automatic updates are turned off?
    None
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

That's what I said!

This particular case I'm going to blame on a database crash. The facility suffered a power failure harsh enough to cook a surge strip. Such conditions usually aren't all that friendly on electronics, especially electronics with databases on them.

Joe, if you put that 32gb SSD in a machine, boot knoppix, mount the file system and find that it is NOT full. The only logical explanation to the symptoms you described to me over the phone, is that of a power failure nuking the Postgres DB.

It's not altogether common, but common enough that I recognize it. You're the third server this year in my care to experience it.

I have an emergency to take care of first thing in the morning. Will Untangle have a tech handy that can push a UID into the upgrade list tomorrow afternoon? I need to test the upgrades on the 32gb devices.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Yup, I know, Rob - just wanted to make 100% sure. You never know. I write software for a living and I've told someone something with 100% certainty before only to find out I overlooked a very subtle, rarely used business rule that made my guarantee useless. Always helps to get a second set of eyes on it.

Since I spoke to you, I had a report of a UPS being cooked in addition to the power strip I already told you about. My CIO lives around the block and he said a transformer blew up over the weekend so I'm inclined to go with your theory now. I just find it weird that the NG-50F itself (and the rackmount APC UPSes that power it) weren't more permanently damaged. We even have equipment on (gulp) no surge surpression and it was undamaged. WEIRD!!

I'll check the 32GB SSD out over the weekend and let you know what I find.

The equipment that you're speaking of has a power unit designed to receive 100-240V, 50-60hz input. This means the power brick is compatible with North American, South American, European, Australian, and most Asian power grids.

They take a bit more of a pounding than your typical 110 only power supplies.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I have one box in the field that auto upgraded to 9.1...noticed immediately due to newer-looking UI, different CPU usage indication and the FQDN in the title. But all my other boxes are still running 9.0.2 and report that no upgrades are available. What's that about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast