Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 9.2 build4 available!

9.2 has a new app called Application Control.
    Application Control is a new premium app that is an awesome tool to help identify and control traffic, protocols, and applications.
    You can think of it as a Protocol Control thats 100x more powerful. It uses advanced algorithms to dig deep into the data stream to determine what application and protocol the stream is. This can do anything like identifying basic protocols like SSH, HTTPS to more advanced web tools like google, gmail, facebook, even facebook games, to more advanced protocols like skype, ultrasurf, etc.

For network adminstrators we think it will provide that perfect tool to detect and control the things that your users are doing that you don't want them doing.
    It also can allow you to put various security policies in place (like making sure certain ports are only used for certain protocols).
    To try out Application Control just install the premium package. You should get a 14-day trial license.

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Application_Control

Things to try:
    * Run traffic through it and check the event logs
    * Try blocking/flagging problematic protocols (bittorrent, proxy apps)
    * Blocking tricky apps (gmail but not google, facebook, facebook apps, skype)
    * Try playing with rules and think up some good example rules for us to add. (also try the ultrasurf blocking rules)
    * Try combining Application Control with Bandwidth Control for some very cool tricks.
    * Review reports for Application Control and think up new graphs and stats you'd like to see.
    * Provide feedback.

Other changes:
    * http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/9.2_Changelog
    * Protocol Control is now called "Application Control Lite" in theme with our recent renames.
    * WAN Failover also has a new implementation.
    * Reports are much faster and have some new features and layouts
    * Event logs flushing/exporting.
    * Youtube for Schools
    * Many bugfixes
    * more!

Application Control will be a part of the premium package, so we're thrilled to announce that after 9.2 all of our current
    Premium Package subscribers will get Application Control at no additional cost!
    Thank you for supporting Untangle! (and thanks for technology partner for working with us to achieve this financially.)

Give it a try!
    http://download.untangle.com/untangl...build4_x32.iso
    http://download.untangle.com/untangl...build4_x64.iso
    http://download.untangle.com/untangl...build4_x32.img
    http://download.untangle.com/untangl...build4_x64.img

(img files are the new USB key install images)

Enjoy!

build3->build4 changes
    * Application Control reports fixes (2 fixed graphs, 2 new graphs, fixed column headers)
    * Networking rules Source Interface matchers fixed
    * Fix issue with Captive Portal and Directory Connector after on/off toggle.

This also means the new version will be rolled out soon.
    If you do not want 9.2, upgrades, changes, enhancements, etc.
    It is recommended that you turn off automatic upgrades at this time.
    With upgrades off you continue to receive signature updates and you can choose if/when you upgrade.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

Having finally had a client send you guys a little money for WAN Failover, I'm defintely looking forward to the fixes to that module. The module status is showing a few failovers have occurred (beyond the ones I forced or simulated), but there's no log or reporting showing when or for how long the primary WAN was out. It'll be nice to be able to show them a log of when the backup WAN connection saved them some downtime.

Untangler

Does application control completely replace and contain application control lite or is there benefit to running both applications at the same time?
    thanks

Application control and Lite are separate applications. It's fine to run both as they do complement each other.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bbowler View Post
    Does application control completely replace and contain application control lite or is there benefit to running both applications at the same time?
    thanks
    You can.

The only thing that Application Control Lite does that Application Control doesn't is custom signatures. If you know how to write regexs you can write your own powerful signatures for App Control Lite. If you aren't doing that, then I wouldn't run both. The built-in signatures in Application Control are much more extensive and accurate.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Have upgrade available, downloading as I type this, will let you know if I have any issues. Thanks as always!

Upgraded from 9.1.1~svn20111222r30591release9.1-1lenny

First Item I noticed:

Openvpn tunnel broke
    Upgraded main server and now child server will not connect back to the main. I restarted the OpenVpn service on both sides.
    Also I only see an option for closed connections and nothing in the drop-down menu for Active connections in the Openvpn log.

No paid subscriptions on the dev test box I just upgraded.

Log from OpenVPN Server

/var/log/uvm/openvpn.log:

Code:

[Fri Feb 10 15:33:53 PST 2012,globals] Disabling the openvpn server from starting at system startup
    [Fri Feb 10 15:37:53 PST 2012,globals] Disabling the openvpn server from starting at system startup
     * Stopping virtual private network daemon
       ...done.
    [Fri Feb 10 15:37:55 PST 2012,start-openvpn] Starting the openvpn server
     * Starting virtual private network daemon
    WARN: could not open database for 1536 bits. Skipped
       ...done.
    [Fri Feb 10 15:37:56 PST 2012,start-openvpn] Successfully started openvpn daemon
       ...done.
    [Fri Feb 10 15:54:06 PST 2012,globals] Disabling the openvpn server from starting at system startup
    [Fri Feb 10 15:54:14 PST 2012,globals] Disabling the openvpn server from starting at system startup
       ...done.
    [Fri Feb 10 15:54:15 PST 2012,start-openvpn] Starting the openvpn server
     * Starting virtual private network daemon
    WARN: could not open database for 1536 bits. Skipped
       ...done.
    [Fri Feb 10 15:54:16 PST 2012,start-openvpn] Successfully started openvpn daemon
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 02-10-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: OpenVPN Issue

Logs look normal.

email support@untangle.com with your UID and configuration details and enable remote support and we'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Logs look normal.

email support@untangle.com with your UID and configuration details and enable remote support and we'll take a look.

Thanks Dirk!

When you say configuration details do you mean:

IP
    web username/password
    ssh username/password

I mean just the details about where you're trying to connect from (the other openvpn side)
    Where Untangle is installed, anything else you think may be relevant... Is it behind another NAT device? Are there mulitple WANs? etc.

Nevermind Dirk, It was the 2wire u-verse modem that caused the issue. I had to force the u-verse router to accept the UT box in the dmzplus yet again...as soon as I did that the VPNtunnel came up. Weird thing was all my internet services were fine with the exception of the vpn tunnel. Well now I know what to look for and maybe someone else with u-verse using UT can benefit from this when doing a upgrade. Just got u-verse service last friday and still learning the anomalies of it. It is much faster then my old dsl line but I do miss the freedom of a bridged modem.
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 02-10-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spell check...lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast