Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

NFR means 'Not for Resale' which is usually a label given to fully functional licensed software that is provided to partners for lab/internal use only.

@sky-night Thanks for the reply. I guess its just an OCD thing for me to see something *New and Shiny* and want it on my box I'll just wait and see what happens. You are right...it really isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    whats an nfr?

Yeah I know, if I don't know what an nfr is, you are not asking me. At least someone is not ignoring you!
    All Untangle partners are required to maintain a heavily discounted, subscription to Untangle for internal use, testing, learning, demos etc. Having these in the permanent early adopter list could be a good thing, as the partners get new features now. However, there are a few like me that use the NFR in production which would be bad potentially. Still, this production sells stuff as is. So I can choose when I want an upgrade, and to be honest if I want v11, I just install it on something.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

New theory. The delayed roll-out of v.11 is due to the licensing fees that Untangle is incurring with its new Virus Blocker / Spam Blocker vendor. Although they are of course committed to all customers having the superior BitDefender protection, they are not in a hurry to roll it out to everyone, because it is costing them more than CommTouch did. And considering that the end of the year is almost here, it helps their books look better by not having a big increase in their licensing expenses hit at the end of the year.

Now I know this is purely speculative malarkey, and is likely wrong. But really, I don't think we've ever seen an UT NG upgrade roll-out happen so slowly. And without any known reason, we're left to our own musings to guess why this is happening. ;-)

Honestly, I think it's purely bandwidth. UTv11 is a HUGE update.

The last time we went across an OS barrier was going from Sarge to Lenny, and those upgrades took almost six months to complete if my memory serves.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I have been using Untangle for years, been a very good product but this issue with the latest roll out does have me concerned. I am hearing plenty of theories of why they are not rolling it out faster is it bandwidth, is it licensing, or is it bugs. I am not buying the bandwidth issue anymore, if it is a bandwidth issue to be able to update a product that we purchased then it just might be time to look into another product, Sophos has a new UTM that has some nice features (http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...anagement.aspx). Sounds to me that someone there pulled the trigger a little early and someone needs to officially make a statement. I am loosing some confidence in the company, seems like this on snafu has stopped any other updates from going out.

I am hoping that this gets resolved soon but in the end I need to look after myself and my clients.
    Karl Hart
    www.cyberconsecurity.com

While some of these theories have been entertaining - I am sad to inform you that the reasoning is far less interesting and exciting.

Our priority for existing customers is stability.
    10.2.1 is perfectly stable with no known major issues. There is no reason to rush a release out.
    Keeping in mind, updates are separate than signatures, and all versions continue to get signatures.

11.0 is a major new version including a couple big changes
    * A new kernel (3.2.0)
    * A new O/S derivative (debian 7.0)
    * A new antivirus vendor
    * A new antispam vendor

It is important to monitor the performance of these changes in order to ensure a great experience for existing 10.x customers.

Many (most actually) of our customers leave automatic upgrades on. As such, when we release an upgrade to certain servers we are implicitly deciding for them when to upgrade to a new version.
    We make the decision that we feel is the best decision for most customers. As such we will release the upgrades (slowly) to the whole population when we are certain that the new kernel, new O/S, and new AV and AS vendor (and other changes) will absolute minimal impact.

Yes, 11.0 is available for download. New installs have different priorities. For example, it is inconvenient to discover that the 3.2.0 kernel does not support your hardware on a new install, but ultimately not a major problem. However, discovering your hardware doesn't support 3.2.0 on tuesday morning when the entire company/school is offline because of a 2am upgrade is a major problem. Our priority is a good experience for customers.

If you are an existing customer and don't see the 11.0 upgrade and wish to upgrade to 11.0 then you can get on the priority list (details in original post) or contact support using the tab on the right side of your screen and ask for 11.0 to be made available to your server.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

@DMorris. Thank you for this feedback. It is good to hear some information as to why this has been so slow. With most of our partnerships with vendors, they try to maintain a degree of transparency to partners/resellers like us. I've felt like we haven't been able to have much of any info coming from behind the curtain, so it is good to finally get some. Kind of feels like a breath of fresh air.

We have several systems all running the same motherboard (including my office). Since our office has completed the upgrade with no issues, do you see any reason why I wouldn't want to upgrade these clients in order for them to get the superior features/protections of v.11?

Untanglit

dkmortensen –*Partners are always welcome to contact us in Sales. We're your account managers and are here to answer any "behind the scenes" questions you or your end users may have. Just email sales@untangle.com.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    While some of these theories have been entertaining - I am sad to inform you that the reasoning is far less interesting and exciting.

Our priority for existing customers is stability.
    10.2.1 is perfectly stable with no known major issues. There is no reason to rush a release out.
    Keeping in mind, updates are separate than signatures, and all versions continue to get signatures.

11.0 is a major new version including a couple big changes
    * A new kernel (3.2.0)
    * A new O/S derivative (debian 7.0)
    * A new antivirus vendor
    * A new antispam vendor

It is important to monitor the performance of these changes in order to ensure a great experience for existing 10.x customers.

Many (most actually) of our customers leave automatic upgrades on. As such, when we release an upgrade to certain servers we are implicitly deciding for them when to upgrade to a new version.
    We make the decision that we feel is the best decision for most customers. As such we will release the upgrades (slowly) to the whole population when we are certain that the new kernel, new O/S, and new AV and AS vendor (and other changes) will absolute minimal impact.

Yes, 11.0 is available for download. New installs have different priorities. For example, it is inconvenient to discover that the 3.2.0 kernel does not support your hardware on a new install, but ultimately not a major problem. However, discovering your hardware doesn't support 3.2.0 on tuesday morning when the entire company/school is offline because of a 2am upgrade is a major problem. Our priority is a good experience for customers.

If you are an existing customer and don't see the 11.0 upgrade and wish to upgrade to 11.0 then you can get on the priority list (details in original post) or contact support using the tab on the right side of your screen and ask for 11.0 to be made available to your server.
    TLDR, The kernel swap makes Untangle nervous.

As well it should! I appreciate the caution this holiday season, more so than most.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567