Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Because the AV blocker is only really useful if you do SSL inspection, something very few people are going to bother with at home.

But seriously, this is a lot of whining about not being able to customize a block page, at home...

I suppose there's something to be said about that, after all mine tells my kids to go ask their dad for permission to continue...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Because the AV blocker is only really useful if you do SSL inspection, something very few people are going to bother with at home.
    You are making the assumption that 100% of malicious payloads are downloaded over an encrypted connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Untangler

I don't really think the AV is more or less important at home - to the contrary, I think AV on the perimeter security device isn't especially useful in either place. I think it is better suited for the endpoint, in all cases, where you don't have to worry about SSL Inspection.

I havne't seen either virus blocker tag anything in well over a year. Even WITH SSL inspection going.

The malware category in Web Filter is too good.
    NexgenAppliances.com

"I think it is better suited for the endpoint, in all cases, where you don't have to worry about SSL Inspection."

Agreed AV local scan is useless even with SSL inspection as many devices do not accept certs anymore, and branding manager is not a case of paying more or less for it as Jason says if it will be available you be sure it would be abused and if abuse keeps coming up I am sure next step would be the home license

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I don't really think the AV is more or less important at home - to the contrary, I think AV on the perimeter security device isn't especially useful in either place. I think it is better suited for the endpoint, in all cases, where you don't have to worry about SSL Inspection.
    Agreed 1000 percent, hakk I do not install virus blocker lite anymore and disable BD local scan, as ROB says web filter does a great job of blocking bad domains
    Last edited by Chrismal; 11-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    Agreed 1000 percent, hakk I do not install virus blocker lite anymore and disable BD local scan, as ROB says web filter does a great job of blocking bad domains
    I don't disagree with the experiences you guys are having. But the multi-vendor multi-layer approach leaves me feeling like we're saying we don't need this anymore. I'm not apt to pull a layer of security that I know could detect & block something. You take the multi-vendor multi-layer approach so that in the rare instances that an outer layer doesn't catch it, an inner layer will. I realize there are plenty of other layers in the mix including AV on the endpoints, but I'd still prefer to keep this layer.

The fact that ScoutIQ uses BD, VT & other sources anyway causes me to feel that we're mostly getting a good solution for the new home Virus Blocker, in place of the better solution. Not complaining. Just giving my opinion. As previously stated, I feel that even with these changes, the Home Pro subscription offering & price is more than fair considering everything that Untangle is giving for the money.

Well, I still have both blockers running, because... why not?

But, I do find it interesting that you're looking at the Virus Blockers as a multivendor option within the module, but you aren't doing the same thing with Web Filter. Web Filter has a BUCKET more sensors plugged into it than you can imagine. That thing is pulling data from everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE.

The thing is the Web Filter's multivendor is the future, VB's is the past... the latter is going to fade with time... heck the former is having trouble.

I'm wondering what's next.
    NexgenAppliances.com

But, I do find it interesting that you're looking at the Virus Blockers as a multivendor option within the module, but you aren't doing the same thing with Web Filter. Web Filter has a BUCKET more sensors plugged into it than you can imagine. That thing is pulling data from everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE.
    I guess I have no clue where Zvelo is getting its data. Because I thought Web Blocker relied on Zvelo & they run their own service.

The thing is the Web Filter's multivendor is the future, VB's is the past... the latter is going to fade with time... heck the former is having trouble.
    My idea (perhaps flawed) is that Web Filter is relying on an external database to get its data. VirusBlocker still doing a local scan would be helpful if:
    • Zvelo is having any kind of outage
    • A DNS server being used doesn't do Zvelo (I'm guessing this is relevant, unless those messages are only related to RBLs for the Spam Blocker)
    • The customer is lucky enough to download a malicious file before the source server lands on the Zvelo lists. At this point, having BD scan it locally could result in a detection & block.

ScoutIQ means cloud lookup which means... nope... VB is pulling from the cloud to get data.

You're correct that zVelo is providing all the data for Web Filter, however HOW they get that data is quite crazy and intense. They're pulling data from every available source to build that list. It's such a wide net that I have a hard time really describing to you how far it reaches. Every single end point that queries it provides data... They have scanners doing some... they have people stuffing in others... they leech information from other lists they've bought into or spying on...

If a site ends up on any list anywhere... zVelo is going to know about it, and FAST.

As for your last bullet point, if the content control guys don't know where a virus is, the virus blocking guys don't know where it is either. Content blocks happen first, then we get a definition update.

Content control *is* your best AV today.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678