Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Home Package changes

Home Package changes

Its been 1.5 years since we release the original home offering, and we're making some much needed changes.

1)
    We now sell a new offering called "HomePro" - and it is a "separate" product, not a band for the Complete Package.
    The price is still $50/yr. Current home package subscribers keep & renew their existing offering.

You can now see it as its own Product in "Products" in the buy page:
    https://www.untangle.com/buy/

This will hopefully eliminate any confusion about it being licensed by active devices or band. It is not. HomePro is available for residential non-commercial use only.

2)
    It is also clearer on the Buy page that live support is not included. We would love to include support obviously but it is not cost effective for us to do so. The home offering is an offering for enthusiasts to run Untangle at home, but our core market is the business market.

We strive to have top-level support. We don't want to have our customers call and get a subpar experience or talk to a person that barely speaks english and is following a script. We also don't want to divert calls to the web or help to try to reduce volume. Our support techs are real techs that are highly trained. This support model does not work for consumer-market support and we are committed to sticking with this model to provide top-level support.

Home users can always buy a separate support subscription, or they can get help on the forums or from the many options available among the Untangle community.

3)
    We have removed the "Branding Manager" application. This will hopefully reduce overlap and home abuse.
    While we never want to remove functionality it is necessary for us to address abuse and this is one of the features we felt had little application in home use.

4)
    The "Virus Blocker" now uses the cloud engine - not the local bitdefender engine. This is mainly a performance and cost issue.

5)
    Also, Tunnel VPN is now included with 13.1
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300514525.html

Thank you for all the home support we received over the past 1.5 years! We never really thought we would get this much traction.
    Hopefully these changes will allow us to continue to reach the home market without disruption to our normal business.
    Last edited by dmorris; 09-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Justy likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Thank you for the update and for providing a great value in the home offering.
    Justy likes this.

Master Untangler

Excellent, thanks for the update. I think all of those are very appropriate and logical changes in the Home license.
    Justy likes this.

Untanglit

All of these changes are very reasonable and make sense. The Home license is still great value and worth the price of admission.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by candidom View Post
    All of these changes are very reasonable and make sense. The Home license is still great value and worth the price of admission.
    The home license is most definitely a great value and I am certainly glad they offer it!

Regarding the statement "We have removed the "Branding Manager" application. This will hopefully reduce overlap and home abuse.", I am curious about how people were abusing it using Branding Manager.

I would hate to see them stop offering the home license because of abuse, so I'm glad they took that small step to hopefully curb whatever is going on instead of just pulling the whole deal.

Thanks for the clear explanation of the change and why it's being made. Make sense to me.

The Home offering still provides a lot of value!
    Justy likes this.
    Untangle 13.1
    Protectli "Vault" Firewall Micro Appliance
    Intel J1900, 120GB mSata, 8GB RAM, 4 x Intel NICs

Master Untangler

Agree completely on the value of the Home license.

I believe in the Home license so much that I bought a 5 year license as soon as it was offered... I have no issues with them removing certain items that are clearly not targeted to the home audience (like Branding Manager).
    theoak and dollopofdaisey like this.

Untanglit

Glad to see Untangle is keeping the home license as well.
    Last edited by rangerrock; 09-07-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaycock View Post
    The home license is most definitely a great value and I am certainly glad they offer it!

Regarding the statement "We have removed the "Branding Manager" application. This will hopefully reduce overlap and home abuse.", I am curious about how people were abusing it using Branding Manager.

I would hate to see them stop offering the home license because of abuse, so I'm glad they took that small step to hopefully curb whatever is going on instead of just pulling the whole deal.
    The branding manager is there so that the block pages all look corporate, instead of Untangle. Now, if you've got a home license, and you've stuffed it into an office at least Untangle will be in your users' faces.
    Justy and dollopofdaisey like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the update.

Just a couple of questions on the home package.

-- The Virus Blocker will only run the ScoutIQ and the Virtual Blocker Lite Clam Av ?

-- Will you keep the Spam Blocker, Phish Blocker, Web Cache, Web Filter and Ad Blocker

-- Will you continue supporting Linksys WRT1900 ACS

Thanks,
    tester1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast