Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Untanglit

Has anybody received the update automatically thats using home license? Waiting patiently for this update.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mrclark View Post
    Waiting patiently for this update.
    I’ve never been "first in line" in either a commercial setting (three appliances) or at home. Nobody loves me.

I do think patience is your best bet. My home unit got updated to 13.1.1 toward the tail end, I think, judging from the 13.2 release. But it’s mostly random, so even if I could tell you my home box got automatically updated to 13.2, it wouldn’t mean anything beyond that fact. It’s a burden Untangle users just have carry.

Untangler

Take responsibility and do it yourself if it's that important to you. It's not that hard.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Take responsibility and do it yourself if it's that important to you. It's not that hard.
    Sure, not hard... *if* you already have a monitor on your untangle appliance... *if* your appliance isn't buried in a closet... *if* you have a keyboard/mouse attached to your appliance... etc.

Not easy for everyone...
    Sam Graf likes this.

It is interesting though, I remember when being in the priority queue used to get you your upgrade within 24 hours of release. Then it was a week, then two. Now I've seen boxes wait a month or more.

That is how much more Untangle there is out there. Relax, it'll happen. Or, put on your face mask, dive into that dust pile containing your server, and upgrade the thing yourself. Those are your options.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Even though I have no problem waiting, I could easily argue that it’s not my responsibility to ensure prompt updates to my system software.

I’m fine waiting. I accept that patience isn’t always practical if someone is looking for a specific fix. It’s not just a one way street.
    JasonJoel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Even though I have no problem waiting, I could easily argue that it’s not my responsibility to ensure prompt updates to my system software.

I’m fine waiting. I accept that patience isn’t always practical if someone is looking for a specific fix. It’s not just a one way street.
    If you're waiting for a fix, then you open a ticket with support and they get you the upgrade. It's really that simple.

I will never understand the impatience, just because number get bigger doesn't mean better. And this is a maintenance release! Not like 13.1.1 has some huge security hole in it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I will never understand the impatience…
    I totally understand the confusion among new users. And as for it being just that simple to get on the priority list, that’s absolutely true if you understand the process.

I sometimes wonder about the impatience people have with learners.

The priority list isn't for learners, it's for Untangle veterans to test the software. It's basically open beta!

These forums aren't for normal users either, only power users find their way in here. Besides, I think a little impatience is perfectly reasonable when you're dealing with a specific issue that's been answered 1000 times in every way imaginable, in every language imaginable, and all of aforementioned answers are available with a quick search.

No, instead we have users clogging up the forums with complaints all but requiring a volunteer such as myself to be their personal Google.

Perhaps I should start posting obvious LMGTFY links in these threads?

For crying out loud, DMorris put the two answers anyone needs IN THE ORIGINAL POST:

When will the upgrade be available for me?
    Upgrades are rolled out over time to the existing servers. The upgrade will likely be available to all servers by end of February.

Does the upgrade require a reboot?
    No. No kernel upgrade or major O/S upgrade.
    Anyone that comes along asking "when" is just being intolerable. BY THE END OF FEB, that's the answer. And no, you won't need to reboot to get a new kernel.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-27-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    abailey likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I wasn’t talking about lazy people, I was talking about learners. Home users without support subscriptions. Small business and nonprofit “IT staff” giving it their best shot. Etc.

It’s possible that the impatient power users here don’t represent the only community point of view here. Perhaps Untangle’s growth is reshaping the community toward less powerful users.

Patience doesn’t mean tolerating laziness. Patience with learners, especially little users hanging on by their teeth, is something else altogether. They shouldn’t own these forums, but they have a place here, just like power users. And if you don’t think so, we’ll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    Loudog2 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast