Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    . Will I still be able to reboot and select the old kernel in the same way?
    Yes, the old kernel will still be there in case you need to switch back. We don't remove the old kernel until it's not compatible with the new build, for example maybe in 14.1 or 15.0.
    jcoehoorn likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Which is why the upgrade isn't complete until you're running on the new kernel. If you update to 14.0 and you can't get to the new kernel it's not really sane to have automatic upgrades going after that.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Which is why the upgrade isn't complete until you're running on the new kernel. If you update to 14.0 and you can't get to the new kernel it's not really sane to have automatic upgrades going after that.
    This is not true. There is no requirement, advantage, or need to move to the new kernel after upgrade. All userspace functionality is equivalent on either kernel.
    You are free to move to the new kernel if you wish, but there is no need to be concerned if you do not. There is absolutely no measurable advantage or incentive you are missing out on if you don't move to the new kernel. For most sites, it actually makes more sense to stay with a known solid and extensively tested 3.16 kernel than to switch to the new one just "for fun" until such time there is sufficient data.

In the future, if Untangle should ever drop support for 3.16 it would automatically disable auto-upgrade until the user is switches to 4.9 (just like we did for 2.6.x).
    Also, like in the past Untangle is likely to, after gathering sufficient data, automatically configure it to move servers to 4.9 at some point in the future.
    Last edited by dmorris; 05-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

I'm just going to say this...
    Thanks for the awesome work guys!! I love this product!!
    Cheers
    jcoffin likes this.

Untangler

The beta is working very nicely for a few days now. A big accomplishment for a distro upgrade.

Is the beta "feature complete"? I know I am asking for a lot but I was hoping for letsencript support and dns with tls like cloudflaire or others.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    This is not true. There is no requirement, advantage, or need to move to the new kernel after upgrade. All userspace functionality is equivalent on either kernel.
    You are free to move to the new kernel if you wish, but there is no need to be concerned if you do not. There is absolutely no measurable advantage or incentive you are missing out on if you don't move to the new kernel. For most sites, it actually makes more sense to stay with a known solid and extensively tested 3.16 kernel than to switch to the new one just "for fun" until such time there is sufficient data.

In the future, if Untangle should ever drop support for 3.16 it would automatically disable auto-upgrade until the user is switches to 4.9 (just like we did for 2.6.x).
    Also, like in the past Untangle is likely to, after gathering sufficient data, automatically configure it to move servers to 4.9 at some point in the future.
    This is a matter of perspective, you're GOING to drop support for it. Issues are GOING to appear, because Untangle isn't going to test future releases against this new kernel, you're going to focus on current because that's what you've always done. So if I want my Untangle routers to continue to operate for years on end, without input or management, the upgrade isn't complete until I'm on the new kernel. If for no other reason, to ensure that a reinstall will work. When you've got hundreds of these things in the field, standardization is key. Not to mention the security updates present in the new kernel not present in the old. Untangle doesn't just swap those things out at random. Your resellers understand this, we've been through it before, we'll go through it again. We do this every 2 - 3 years. It's no big deal, honestly. I know some people complain about it, then I remind them about Sonicwall firmware updates...

If you cannot boot to the new kernel on a hardware platform, it's best to know that now, so you can use the old one while you source replacement hardware.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-19-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Is the beta "feature complete"?
    It is feature complete. Just bug fixes at this point. Maybe another beta and then a slow release as it is a major release.

Those other features are in Jira if you wish to get notifications if they are schedule for a specific release.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

I have to admit, Letsencrypt support would be pretty nice. BUT... there are dragons there, because it's easy to do when it's just Untangle. It's not so easy when an organization is using letsencrypt for many things.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

They now support wildcard certs which does make it a lot easier. Still not perfect for sure.

Untanglit

now that the kernel is 4.x, will we see support for cake for improved bufferbloat mitigation?
    donhwyo likes this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast