Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Last edited by dmorris; 06-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Exciting news!

Question about the OS upgrade. If I have made minor customizations (like adding non-root users) in 13.2.1, will those carry over to the updated OS in 14, or is it a wipe/install?
    Untangle 16.4.1
    Protectli "Vault" Firewall Micro Appliance
    Intel Core i3-7100U CPU, 240GB mSata, 16GB RAM, 4 x Intel NICs

As with all command line modifications, it might not upgrade correctly. Kernel upgrades are heavily tested on clean systems as many issues are found and resolved during the development cycle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Thanks. Based on your response, it appears it is not a wipe/install (as that would "always" work) and it is based on an in-place upgrade
    Untangle 16.4.1
    Protectli "Vault" Firewall Micro Appliance
    Intel Core i3-7100U CPU, 240GB mSata, 16GB RAM, 4 x Intel NICs

Oh, systemd. Yay, I guess. If I have to.

Will I need to get at the console at boot time to get it to select the new kernel?
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Yes, the console is the easiest way to select the new kernel but it can be done on the command line. I would Google select default grub config.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Oh, systemd. Yay, I guess.

Pretty much summarizes systemd.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Yeah, you can configure grub via SSH, it's just incredibly risky to do so. What are you going to do if the system doesn't reboot for whatever reason?

This is an OS level upgrade, I've already hit my buttons to notify everyone to disable automatic upgrades and prepare to schedule tech time on site to deploy. It's the only sane way to handle this, too much risk.

And I may as well put there, all NGSeries customers of mine, you need to follow this advice because you MUST remove or disable the CF card in your unit, if it has it BEFORE this upgrade, or you will have problems.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-16-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

In our experiences there haven't been any issues moving to 4.9 on any platforms we've tested *except* X/display issues.
    So I'd venture its probably pretty safe... That said, we still don't switch to the new kernel by default just in case.

Note: that those running the OVA in vmware will have X issues until the switch to 4.9 and "Upgrade VM Compatibility" in ESX

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    In our experiences there haven't been any issues moving to 4.9 on any platforms we've tested *except* X/display issues.
    So I'd venture its probably pretty safe... That said, we still don't switch to the new kernel by default just in case.

Note: that those running the OVA in vmware will have X issues until the switch to 4.9 and "Upgrade VM Compatibility" in ESX

This is generally true, and I've had minimal issues with all of my Debian 8 to Debian 9 upgrades I've done over the last couple years. The problem is, Untangle is kinda important! So no matter what I never recommend selecting a new kernel when you aren't physically present.

And again, my NGSeries WILL FAIL, something about this new kernel panics when it sees Clonzilla on a CF card... So before the upgrade, it just needs removed, or if the server is less than 5 years old, disabled in the BIOS. Not sure why I didn't pull that thing when v11 launched... It's a fun idea, but in practice it's impossible to keep the thing current and v14 brings with it a need for yet another Clonezilla update to use the images anyway.

Which means I've got a CF card door stop in a server, that's being replaced by a USB stick anyway... so I'm just going to start shipping USB sticks, cleaner.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast