Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Yes, i386 support will be dropped upstream in the future.
    Hello All,

In lieu of the dropped future i386 support, I'd like to confirm the following:

- If I currently run version 13.2.0 x32 and create a configuration backup
    - Perform a clean version 14 x64 install
    - Use previous version 13.2.0 x32 backup and perform a restore with "Restore all settings" option.

Is the above described feasible? Thanks in advance for your input.

Yes, the backup is compatible with either 32 or 64 bit installs. Yes, your steps are correct.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by PapaXris View Post
    Hello All,

In lieu of the dropped future i386 support, I'd like to confirm the following:

- If I currently run version 13.2.0 x32 and create a configuration backup
    - Perform a clean version 14 x64 install
    - Use previous version 13.2.0 x32 backup and perform a restore with "Restore all settings" option.

Is the above described feasible? Thanks in advance for your input.
    Yes, thats fine, however no need to panic. i386 support likely won't be dropped for several years.
    When it does get dropped upstream, it won't stop working, there just won't be new updates going forward.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Yes, thats fine, however no need to panic. i386 support likely won't be dropped for several years.
    When it does get dropped upstream, it won't stop working, there just won't be new updates going forward.
    Yeah, and Debian 10 has release notes for i386 so it looks like Buster will still support 32bit platforms, it won't be released for another year, Untangle probably won't update to it until the year after that. And then you get what? Two more years?

So you've got 3-4 years to get off 32bit, no rush!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I'm curious how long MS will continue to offer a 32bit version of Windows 10... not dropping support for 32bit programs, just 32bit-only CPUs, where 32bit emulation is still available on 64bit CPUs. They dropped 32bit support in Windows Server several years ago.

But I guess this is kind of off-topic.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 13.1 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Thank You

jcoffin
    dmorris
    &
    sky-knight

For the responses and quick replies! Your input is appreciated is truly appreciated.

With these notes I should be able to prepare for an appropriate upgrade path. As you said, No Rush! I hope these posts help others on x32 installs.

Guys for what you discuss above i had thoughts to install untangle to a ml350G4 that i have that is sitting 5+ years now.
    It has 2 x Intel Xeon Processor 3.2 GHz/800-1MB L2 and 4GB ram with 4 gigabit nics..
    I wanted to stop using Untangle in a VM but from what i read the 32 bit will be dropped and eventually Untangle will not run on it correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
    Guys for what you discuss above i had thoughts to install untangle to a ml350G4 that i have that is sitting 5+ years now.
    It has 2 x Intel Xeon Processor 3.2 GHz/800-1MB L2 and 4GB ram with 4 gigabit nics..
    I wanted to stop using Untangle in a VM but from what i read the 32 bit will be dropped and eventually Untangle will not run on it correct?
    That's a Core2 era Xeon, she's 64bit capable.

Also, 32bit support won't be gone from the looks of it until Untangle is on Debian 11, it's on 9 now. So you've still got Debian 10.

The link to a 32bit Untangle just isn't published... want it? Go to the top of this thread, find the link to the 64bit and change it.

http://download.untangle.com/untangle_1400_x64.iso

Becomes

http://download.untangle.com/untangle_1400_x32.iso

Oh look, v14 32bit installation media...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-11-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Just to clarify, 32 bit Untangle will be available for some time (few years). Worst case when 32 bit is no longer available, the backup file is compatible with either 32 or 64 bit. Thus converting to 64 bit will be just a quick process of downloading the setting backup, install 64 bit version, and restore backup file.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Im stupid, this server atm has esxi 6.5 and untangle as virtual so will just leave out of vcenter alone and all is fine and i will upgrade all the rest of my servers to 6.7.

Thx guys
    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That's a Core2 era Xeon, she's 64bit capable.

Also, 32bit support won't be gone from the looks of it until Untangle is on Debian 11, it's on 9 now. So you've still got Debian 10.

The link to a 32bit Untangle just isn't published... want it? Go to the top of this thread, find the link to the 64bit and change it.

http://download.untangle.com/untangle_1400_x64.iso

Becomes

http://download.untangle.com/untangle_1400_x32.iso

Oh look, v14 32bit installation media...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Just to clarify, 32 bit Untangle will be available for some time (few years). Worst case when 32 bit is no longer available, the backup file is compatible with either 32 or 64 bit. Thus converting to 64 bit will be just a quick process of downloading the setting backup, install 64 bit version, and restore backup file.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast