Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firmware builds to be deprecated in v14.1

We will be stopping developing and releasing further linksys/turris firmware based NGFW builds.

This is sad for us because we've put a lot of work into it, and it really is a great solution - when it works.
    The core issue is that it relies on an external USB drive to store the filesystem. While we minimize writes to this USB drive we have found that in the real world use, they often become corrupted, even the good ones after some period of time. They just aren't made for usage like this and have a very high failure rate. This is not an experience we want users to have with the product.

Many users suggest using an external hard drive, but the issues with this are:
    1) A linksys + a USB3 hard drive is basically the same costs as a cheap x86 platform, except a cheap x86 platform is much more capable in most aspects.
    2) A hard drive hanging off the side ruins the 'simple self-contained' product that the linksys is.
    3) The hard drive attached via USB still struggles to actually store reports data, so while you have a hard drive you still have to put reports in a ramdisk because of performance issues.

The good news is that the 14.0.1 builds will continue to work and should run without issues except for the occasional drive corruption mentioned above. For those subscribers, we'll continue to help you as we can.
    It is likely 14.1 and future upgrades just won't appear as upgrades.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

I do have one of these in the field; would removing the Reports module ease the stress on the flash drive?

tcurtis likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    This is sad for us because we've put a lot of work into it…
    I can understand that. Thank you for all the efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    I can understand that. Thank you for all the efforts.
    Thanks for pointing this out, because while the project didn't work there have been improvements in the platform elsewhere thanks to the lessons learned. Untangle enjoys an efficiency today I don't think we would have if the devs hadn't tried to stuff it into those tiny platforms.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

What is the cheapest box that i must buy to be able to run untangle?
    My linksys for my 10 devices in home and my 100/10 connection is dead idle most of the time.
    I dont need wifi or more than 2 lan ports.
    Also my payed home licence will be carried over to this box fine?

Im sad for this announcement but i cannot do anything.

Well, the Linksys will still run and get categorization updates for quite a while. Yes, you can transfer your license to any other box. No question, use the u25x or something similar.
    bluechris likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Well, the Linksys will still run and get categorization updates for quite a while. Yes, you can transfer your license to any other box. No question, use the u25x or something similar.
    The only thing that matters to me atm is if the untangle in work updates and for some reason it will stop accepting my connection from home because it's crucial to me to have in home full access to work subnets and the routing that untangle does between this 2 points. In home i also get the daily company backups.
    Before untangle i was able to do the same with ddwrt in home but with a difficult configuration where untangle does everything automatically and great
    Either way yes I think a u25 will be fine in my case.

Untanglit

not surprised at all,
    can you at least make it up to us?
    i'd like to see cake-sqm implemented into untangle
    the turris firmware that comes with the unit supports cake, but giving up untangle is not worth it.

Very bad news for Turris Omnia users of Untangle :-( and my yearly subsciptions just renewed :-/

Anyway, I’ve noticed a new software project on your Jira - MicroFirewall, there is Turris mentioned in some places.. is this something we can have some hope for for the future ?
    Kkorkky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast