Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Untangler

So.... my little thread here had an impact?

https://forums.untangle.com/intrusio...ules-list.html

Untangler

So.... my little thread here had an impact?

https://forums.untangle.com/intrusio...ules-list.html

I’m not reading the changelog that way. There aren’t any predefined blocks. There is a way to bulk change how signatures are being used. Maybe I’m mistaken.

Untangler

You're right that it remains to be seen how useful it is, however it does appear that it will be easier to block predefined groups, so that's some progress.
    JasonJoel likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Honestly, mDNS seems a little out of scope for a security appliance at the edge... but I understand how we have a growing set of users (especially home users) who want Untangle to run at the core, instead of the edge, to be their only networking device.
    I get the argument that this may be a superfluous feature for an edge security device. But keep in mind that home users AND small business often use Untangle as their router as well.

And mDNS use isn't just for home use. A lot of work environments I go into these days allow for Chrome/Google Cast for presentation use, instead of emailing a presentation to throw on a monitor or a USB thumb drive plugged into a PC connected to the TV. Same for public printers (which can use mDNS / bonjour).

Segregating IoT like devices is obviously standard practice in businesses (and increasingly in homes). But there are times when a service needs to connect to that segregated network (like above).

Small businesses that don't have the budget or admin hours to support a lot of infrastructure would likely prefer to have mDNS in untangle, as opposed to installing AVAHI on an appliance/VM.
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 10-09-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    keep in mind that home users AND small business often use Untangle as their router as well.
    I think that's what I just said.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.1.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    You're right that it remains to be seen how useful it is, however it does appear that it will be easier to block predefined groups, so that's some progress.
    yes, being able to block by groups will make things much easier. I hope the bug(s) I found in the current IPS have been left behind; maybe IPS will finally indeed be an Intrusion Prevention System instead of an "Intrusion? Maybe Notice and Give it some Side-Eye" system.
    JasonJoel likes this.

Untangler

REF Beta Feedback
    Build: 14.1.0.20181002T103455.5d8adc6626-1stretch
    Kernel: 4.9.0-7-untangle-amd64

I use OpenDNS as my DNS resolver. I have noticed that Open DNS is reporting my External IP address as 42.246.123.8x which is confirmed by "https://whatismyipaddress.com/" however "Config > Network" my internet facing IP address is reported as 86.180.230.175. External interface is configured as PPPoE and my ISP is BT in the UK.
    The PPPoE interface statistics now look ok.

Regards
    KK

Sounds like your ISP is routing your IP. The IP shown in the GUI is the one given by your ISP's modem to the Untangle. What is ultimately shown to the Internet is up to your ISP.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Sounds like your ISP is routing your IP. The IP shown in the GUI is the one given by your ISP's modem to the Untangle. What is ultimately shown to the Internet is up to your ISP.
    yeah, that seems odd. why NAT a public IP range? I wonder if it's something like IPv4->NAT46->IPv6->NAT64->Internet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast