Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Could you elaborate? Is this not a log-only configuration, as it has been in the past, a starting place? That's not really a set-it-and-forget-it configuration for anything.
    It is still our policy that it is on the customer to configure settings that may cause their network to not work. So out of the box, Intrusion Prevention is still a log-only configuration.

However, in addition to the enabled default system memory matching rules, there are also default but disabled rules that map to Suricata's severity classtypes. Those rules do have blocking actions.

Thank you for the clarification.

I for one support your policy, for what it's worth.
    trboxman likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    That is great!
    This wouldn't be needed if there was an ISO or IMG file that could be used to upgrade the box locally, instead of waiting for the servers to release the upgrade.

I know it would save me time from nuking my box and reinstalling every time I want to perform an upgrade. My opinion is that automatic upgrades are great for minor patches, but there are times when I want the bigger upgrades now. Mostly it's when I unexpectedly have some time to babysit the process at night when no one is here. However, I am getting tired of reinstalling the whole box just for that upgrade. Sometimes that takes a while. It's also tedious. Most settings stay the same, so a reinstall is really overkill for that process. I don't feel I should have to be at the mercy of a rollout, especially when the ISOs are available anyway.

Maybe a thought for the future - A way to initiate a local upgrade with a downloaded file instead of waiting for the automatic upgrade. I still haven't received notice on it, from either Untangle box I have. And the end of December? I'll be turning off my automatic upgrades if I don't get the update by the next week or two - being on vacation with a skeleton crew in the office if the update goes wrong is not my idea of time off...

Quote Originally Posted by thetoad30 View Post

Maybe a thought for the future - A way to initiate a local upgrade with a downloaded file instead of waiting for the automatic upgrade. I still haven't received notice on it, from either Untangle box I have. And the end of December? I'll be turning off my automatic upgrades if I don't get the update by the next week or two - being on vacation with a skeleton crew in the office if the update goes wrong is not my idea of time off...
    There is a method. Email UID to support and get on the priority list. It should be available in a few hours.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    There is a method. Email UID to support and get on the priority list. It should be available in a few hours.
    I disagree. I shouldn't have to e-mail and wait. I should be able to upgrade on my time, at my will, without waiting for a server to send me the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by thetoad30 View Post
    I disagree. I shouldn't have to e-mail and wait. I should be able to upgrade on my time, at my will, without waiting for a server to send me the upgrade.
    I would rather see the untangle development time and resources spent on features, rather than your request which to me seems to be a slight issue of impatience in regards to what literally amounts to waiting maybe an hour.

I have had Support put different systems on the early install list, and it has always been a very prompt and quick process. I am not saying your request would not be useful in some cases, but it would also be one more thing untangle has to spend their development time on long-term to maintain with each upgrade they release.

Aside from not having an update disc, what are the top three features you wish untangle had that they don’t currently have?

Well, Microsoft has us spoiled with Win10. You download the ISO, stick it on a USB key, and you can use that key to install new stations, new VMs, or upgrade stations from previous versions of Windows going all the way back to Win7.

It's not unprecedented to expect this behavior. And it would be handy to be able to just plug in a USB key on the local install and say GO. But, that still requires a fair bit of user knowledge of linux to perform. The upgrades themselves being UID locked via APT presents further barriers to making this reality anything resembling easy.

Perhaps the Command Center could be upgraded to allow people to click on a server and enroll / dis-enroll servers in the early list?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmor View Post
    I would rather see the untangle development time and resources spent on features, rather than your request which to me seems to be a slight issue of impatience in regards to what literally amounts to waiting maybe an hour.
    I don't see it as an EITHER thing. I want BOTH. There are tons of features they work on that I could care less about, and others I wish they would accelerate. You can never please everyone.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The upgrades themselves being UID locked via APT presents further barriers to making this reality anything resembling easy.
    I see what you're saying, but how is that any different than reinstalling and generating a new UID to transfer the licenses to?

Seems like you'd rather have a customer keep their UID instead of generating a new one every single upgrade.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast