Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmor View Post
    I would rather see the untangle development time and resources spent on features, rather than your request which to me seems to be a slight issue of impatience in regards to what literally amounts to waiting maybe an hour.

I have had Support put different systems on the early install list, and it has always been a very prompt and quick process. I am not saying your request would not be useful in some cases, but it would also be one more thing untangle has to spend their development time on long-term to maintain with each upgrade they release.

Aside from not having an update disc, what are the top three features you wish untangle had that they don’t currently have?
    Except that most days I don't know if/when I'll have time. It unexpectedly pops up. Which means that if I have time to do something, it's usually when support is closed for the day. That doesn't help me. It's not impatience - it's how the real IT world works. You upgrade off-hours, and when you can. Sometimes you plan. Sometimes you don't need to, but you need to do it when the resources aren't being used. We have people who VPN in all the time - that complicates things further. If I see that it's 6 PM and no one is here or on VPN, I suddenly have time to upgrade a network resource. Why can't I download an upgrade and install it, instead of having to get the box on an upgrade list?

Literally every other software platform has the ability to do this. Clearly an upgrade functionality is already built into Untangle - I don't think it would be that much of a waste of time or resources to let it point to an ISO/IMG.

Untangle Ninja

I think everyone would be a lot happier if Untangle made it so that if you actually go into Config->Upgrades and physically click a button that says "Check for Upgrade Now" then (and only then) it will give you any upgrade that's available. The automatic upgrades would still follow the phased roll-out by UID groups.

So the majority of boxes would upgrade over many weeks the same as now, and the few admins who want the upgrade now can just get it right away without bothering tech support.
    bluechris likes this.

Master Untangler

Some who want it early have a problem. The rest of us are just addicted to the bleeding edge. Living on the bleeding edge requires a little work. If it's just click a button many will do it just because. That will defeat the role out strategy and require a lot more bandwidth. They would have to pass that cost on to us! Who wants that? There is a path if you need it, use it.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Some who want it early have a problem. The rest of us are just addicted to the bleeding edge. Living on the bleeding edge requires a little work. If it's just click a button many will do it just because. That will defeat the role out strategy and require a lot more bandwidth. They would have to pass that cost on to us! Who wants that? There is a path if you need it, use it.
    I doubt the ones who will go explicitly get the upgrade just because they can would amount to more than a trivial percentage of the installed user base. And they still won't all do it at the same moment... a few here, a few there throughout the first week or so. To really bother Untangle's bandwidth it'd have to be dozens or hundreds all at the same time.

I got added to the early upgrade list on November 30 and I'm still waiting for the upgrade to trigger

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by EAPS View Post
    I got added to the early upgrade list on November 30 and I'm still waiting for the upgrade to trigger
    I just went and clicked the upgrade button on a few boxes about an hour ago

But about a dozen still don't see it, while a few of them have updated automatically...
    Last edited by thecomputerdude; 12-04-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thetoad30 View Post
    Except that most days I don't know if/when I'll have time. It unexpectedly pops up. Which means that if I have time to do something, it's usually when support is closed for the day. That doesn't help me. It's not impatience - it's how the real IT world works. You upgrade off-hours, and when you can. Sometimes you plan. Sometimes you don't need to, but you need to do it when the resources aren't being used. We have people who VPN in all the time - that complicates things further. If I see that it's 6 PM and no one is here or on VPN, I suddenly have time to upgrade a network resource. Why can't I download an upgrade and install it, instead of having to get the box on an upgrade list?

Literally every other software platform has the ability to do this. Clearly an upgrade functionality is already built into Untangle - I don't think it would be that much of a waste of time or resources to let it point to an ISO/IMG.
    This only really applies for the OS level upgrades for me. Those are the ones you have to grant special consideration for. The bugs and issues associated with every other release are generally minor. And we only get a kernel OS upgrade every couple years. But yes, it is a bit painful.

All the more reason to make a command center feature that enables the user to log into Untangle.com and enroll / dis-enroll devices from the early upgrade list. It ads value to the Command Center, gives admins a central location to push upgrades, and their online backups are all right there too.
    thecomputerdude likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I'm on 14.1.0 and am having an issue changing a Firewall rule. I uncheck the Flag column for a rule and click Save, and then the checkbox is checked again. And the uncheck of the Flag column is definitely not being applied. I can un-check and re-check (and then click Save) the Block column but not the Flag column. And this applies to any rules I have in there. Any ideas? Should I email support?

Which browser are you using?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

You can't block but not flag a rule. flag is a subset of block.
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/F...l#Rule_Actions
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast