Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Is there a way for me to see the exact date/time the upgrade happened on my device?

[root @ gatewayhm] ~ # cat /var/log/uvm/upgrade.log
    2018-12-03 09:57 ut-upgrade.py done.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    [root @ gatewayhm] ~ # cat /var/log/uvm/upgrade.log
    2018-12-03 09:57 ut-upgrade.py done.
    Sorry buy that's over my head. Is there a way to find it from my PC?

Oh sorry. Unfortunately there is no time stamp on upgrade completion on the GUI.

Thanks. So I'm going to make an assumption. The latest upgrade caused my Acronis backup/sync software to fail. In doing so, my files on Acronis's cloud storage became corrupt. They had to delete all my files on the cloud storage, delete the relationship between my PC and the cloud storage space and start over. Is there anywhere in any log in Untangle that would show that failure?

Without knowing what method Acronis uses, it's all guessing. I could see a backup stream being paused for even a few seconds causing an issue. I would be surprised if the software would not resent the packets if interrupted.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 12-18-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    Thanks. So I'm going to make an assumption. The latest upgrade caused my Acronis backup/sync software to fail. In doing so, my files on Acronis's cloud storage became corrupt. They had to delete all my files on the cloud storage, delete the relationship between my PC and the cloud storage space and start over. Is there anywhere in any log in Untangle that would show that failure?
    Thats a pretty insane assumption. If you believe your backup vendor can not maintain data integrity through any internet weirdness, you need a new vendor immediately, or to do backups yourself.
    First, plain TCP has data verification, as does SSL on top of that, and thirdly they would surely do their own data verification *on top of* those two layers, for 3 layers of data verification, minimum.

This is also a good illustration to show why we can't put the upgrade log in the UI.
    https://www.untangle.com/inside-untangle/what-changed/
    Last edited by dmorris; 12-18-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Furthermore, any cloud sync system that works with files or snapshots requires verification on both sides due to the inherent untrustworthiness of the Internet's fabric. What I mean by that is a hashing system that's constantly comparing the two data sets at random... they ALL have it, if they don't you can't every trust a restore!

To further compound the issue, the tech you got with Acronis was a completely unprofessional idiot that needs retrained / fired. The mitigation he foisted on you was utterly unwarranted. Yes, there was a repair available, but it's all toast now that the data set is gone. But fixing things takes work, easier to just get you off the phone by deleting your junk and making everything resend.

Your next step is to find a business grade solution provider for your data... Acronis makes some wonderful software, so I'm curious what sort of system you had bolted together... I wouldn't expect this behavior from them.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-18-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Yeah. Probably reaching a bit. The backups worked and continue to work fine but they are local to a Passport drive. The file sync crapped out on me. I have to believe there is some type if log in their application. If the backup fails, I get an email similar to WAN failover. Sorry, I worded my post poorly. My implication was that yhe sync process got interrupted and permanently severed by something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    Yeah. Probably reaching a bit. The backups worked and continue to work fine but they are local to a Passport drive. The file sync crapped out on me. I have to believe there is some type if log in their application. If the backup fails, I get an email similar to WAN failover. Sorry, I worded my post poorly. My implication was that yhe sync process got interrupted and permanently severed by something.
    And that simply cannot happen, anything that involves networks has to be tolerant of intermittent connectivity. Even LAN connections fail regularly. That's why important stuff uses TCP as a carrier to start, and yes... that slows things down.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast