Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Well, then you're fine because of unlimited devices. But if you're going that nuts, you'd be better served by making an IoT VLAN. And should you be stuck with device based licensing, you bypass the IoT stuff. Untangle isn't meant to protect automated stuff, it's supposed to filter on user driver browser based stuff. You can filter IoT, but yeah... device creep is going to eat you alive. Which is why everyone else abandoned device based licensing. I'd love to see Untangle do the same, but I don't think their upstream vendors will allow for that.

In all of this - there is a direct benefit to untangle to giving home users all applications and that is that they will go out there and evangelize the product to peers and businesses for free, a lot of times at the very least generating leads for untangle and interest in the product and sometimes sales which would normally not occur without that product push from users running it.

HomePro user here (3 months). Honestly, I'm not going to pay for this threat protection without first knowing how effective it's going to be.

I'm more interested in getting IPv6-PD support than anything else. When untangle has full IPv6 support, and all the apps are IPv6 enabled, then I'll look into getting threat protection (plus other stuffs).
    Jim.Alles likes this.

I'm pretty sure we're getting a significant shot in the IPv6 arm with Buster, time will tell.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I never really thought about running separate vlans for everything. Do you recommend running separate ones for cameras, iot devices, computers, phones, printers/scanners?

Depends, how many groups of devices would you like to organize differently? It's easier to assign security policies to IP ranges sitting on top of those VLANs, so as you add and remove devices you just put them in the appropriate network and POOF, they do what you want them to do.

With Untangle you have the additional licensing component, which for HomePro doesn't matter so much, but my business clients enjoy a "free" VLAN for guest devices, and another for IOT devices on premises. That way I can limit the license counts, while also securely managing the network.

Doing this makes things easier to track as well, so it's a bit of work to get setup, but in the end it turns Untangle into a magic black box that runs for decades with minimal input. Bypass is a powerful concept, and critical to understand to efficiently deploy Untangle.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-07-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    f1assistance likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Depends, how many groups of devices would you like to organize differently? It's easier to assign security policies to IP ranges sitting on top of those VLANs, so as you add and remove devices you just put them in the appropriate network and POOF, they do what you want them to do.

With Untangle you have the additional licensing component, which for HomePro doesn't matter so much, but my business clients enjoy a "free" VLAN for guest devices, and another for IOT devices on premises. That way I can limit the license counts, while also securely managing the network.

Doing this makes things easier to track as well, so it's a bit of work to get setup, but in the end it turns Untangle into a magic black box that runs for decades with minimal input. Bypass is a powerful concept, and critical to understand to efficiently deploy Untangle.
    Skyknight - I emailed customer service for a return auth and they haven't returned it. Package sitting here unopened. You keep making me doubt my decision, I must admit you're very convincing.

I have a bad history of chasing router purchases. In the past it was always home gear to improve my signal and QOS/gaming experience. I've purchased probably a "top end" home router a year for the last 10 years. In the last couple I finally got some Ubiquiti APs and that problem has been solved, so now I'm seeking more security and just fear making the same mistakes again jumping from one system to the next. There are SO many options. Ease of use and xbox/gaming compatibility are crucial as well as WAF.

Thanks so much for the information, I will say these forums (and you especially) seem to be very knowledgeable and positive, even when someone like me new joins and asks what could be perceived as negative questions.

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    Skyknight - I emailed customer service for a return auth and they haven't returned it. Package sitting here unopened. You keep making me doubt my decision, I must admit you're very convincing.

I have a bad history of chasing router purchases. In the past it was always home gear to improve my signal and QOS/gaming experience. I've purchased probably a "top end" home router a year for the last 10 years. In the last couple I finally got some Ubiquiti APs and that problem has been solved, so now I'm seeking more security and just fear making the same mistakes again jumping from one system to the next. There are SO many options. Ease of use and xbox/gaming compatibility are crucial as well as WAF.

Thanks so much for the information, I will say these forums (and you especially) seem to be very knowledgeable and positive, even when someone like me new joins and asks what could be perceived as negative questions.
    Trust me when I say, there is no one here that can be more negative than I was when I joined these forums! Don't believe me... go find the threads from 2008...

But you are correct, there are hordes of options. But Untangle is the ONLY option that evolves automatically. That reality brings with it a new pile of headaches, but Untangle has never left me hanging in all the time I've used it. Sure stuff doesn't work quite right sometimes... but nothing has been "down" for more than a few days. Support is US based, responsive, and honestly flat amazing. The only real downside, it's expensive. It really isn't expensive for what you get... but the sticker shock is real.

I've got Untangles that have been installed on the same hardware for 12 years... Find me another device that can say that? Please... if you have one I'd love to know what it is!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-07-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Jim.Alles and junglechuck like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Talking Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post

Hello, and welcome to Untangle, and to the forums!
    I'll share my story, & try to keep it brief. But it will be a TL;DR version. Though it is ironic that I always was able to say I am a tech, not a salesman. I have just become a re-seller partner over the past year (full disclosure, not an employee).

I have been using the non-subscription versions for more than ten years, and NGFW has not only protected the networks better because I could understand it, but I have learned so much watching issues being troubleshot here, and assisting others.

The paid modules would have been nice for the non-profit school & church I set it up for originally, but not necessary to do the job far better than any consumer 'router'. This is where I learned the commodity marketing didn't name things well, (which caused confusion) let alone DO things well. That all-in-one box contained:
    • Modem
    • Router
    • Firewall
    • NAT with Port Forwarding
    • Quality of Service (QoS)
    • DNS server
    • DHCP server
    • Wireless Access Point (AP)

And Untangle handles everything but the first and the last (but now an option) items. That is fully functional without any of the APPlications, no subscription. And the most important security feature that is missing from any commodity consumer 'router' is regular updates. That becomes Untangle's most valuable security feature; up-to-date software. It is not firmware that has to be 'burned', and the hardware - well, I have it running on a PC that is considered obsolete for desktop use. You don't have to pitch it out to chase the improvements.

Untangle is a leader in addressing bufferbloat - fq-codel is baked in, no subscription required. We just received a Linux kernel security package in the latest test version. This all tends to stay fairly 'fresh', despite how hard it is to keep up.

That is not to say that we don't get frustrated at times, or that we don't have to be patient. But Untangle does listen, and has delivered on customer's suggestions. Like me - and I hadn't paid them anything! I think I can say with confidence that IPv6 support will not require a subscription of any kind.

Don't think that you are missing much at the Home subscriber level. I just signed up for that for the first time this year. I am also testing v15.0 with the new [Threat Protection] and my opinion is that it won't benefit me much at home. Cranking up the security level on that breaks too many things that need to 'phone home'. I am assured that my home network security is as good as it has been, however. Threat Protection will be useful in my business where I can lock Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) devices down, that should not be 'phoning home', ever. Those customers will pay for that protection.

IMHO, you have what it takes to more than cover the essentials with the Home subscription. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 02-07-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    I never really thought about running separate vlans for everything. Do you recommend running separate ones for cameras, iot devices, computers, phones, printers/scanners?
    • Computers / Printers / Scanners
    • Wi-Fi trusted personal devices but maybe combine IoT
    • Wi-Fi Iot
    • Wi-Fi restricted Guest
    • Cameras - jailed!
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 02-07-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwatermods View Post
    How can it actually be a loss @$50? You sure about that?
    Although there are a lot of 'sunk' costs that would be hard to pick out and pin on a home user, just imagine the hourly costs and overhead for real, trained, U.S. base customer support dealing with customers who are not always well versed on pro networking.

I now have to pay Quicken $50 annually just to get it to dial-in to MY banks and retrieve MY data. Sheesh!

I am grateful for it, regardless.
    Thanks, Untangle!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast