Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Just for clarity's sake, will it be possible for home users to purchase Threat Prevention as a separate stand-alone subscription?
    I'm not an employee of Untangle, but this would be my assumption. Yes, but see the above licensing catch? The Home sub is 25 devices until support increases it, if it's increased... you have to buy other paid modules at the same licensing level. So if you get your 25 device sub increased to 50, you're going to need a 50 seat Threat Prevention module. All the licenses must be at the same bucket count!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Just for clarity's sake, will it be possible for home users to purchase Threat Prevention as a separate stand-alone subscription?
    Initially it will not be available separately. It might in the future.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Initially it will not be available separately. It might in the future.
    Very good. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm not an employee of Untangle, but this would be my assumption. Yes, but see the above licensing catch? The Home sub is 25 devices until support increases it, if it's increased... you have to buy other paid modules at the same licensing level. So if you get your 25 device sub increased to 50, you're going to need a 50 seat Threat Prevention module. All the licenses must be at the same bucket count!
    Well, that was just more confusion for me since I'm actually on the Home subscription, not the HomePro subscription, and evidently they were licensed differently.

Anyway, it's not an option so not an issue.

Untangle Ninja

Home vs Homepro? I only see one type?

I do think if home users are willing to pay for the "Threat Prevention" it should be an option. How much might it cost?

Home preceded HomePro. It's no longer available but Untangle honors it for renewal.

Yeah... and I have to admit I'm not clear on how that would work either. But, Untangle has always been consistent in that a la carte licensing is always done via the same license bucket as everything else. Limiting access to the new module to the complete bundles for now sort of side steps this issue for now. We can't forget that Untangle isn't a huge company, getting new features bolted in on top of negotiating our collective landing into a new OS is a non-trivial effort.

Which of course results in the communications errors we've had, and other options getting cut in favor of getting the thing out there to begin with.

I share in the frustration, but as a one man IT shop, I relate to the realities around all this work all too well. Untangle != Meraki, and of course it doesn't cost near as much either. There's a reason for all of that.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Web and app filtering, robust firewall rules per profile and reporting was the sell for me so just want to keep my $50 / year plan. Not really interested in the Threat Protection at this time and I know with IoT I am going to break 25 devices and when I have a guest network for graduations, birthday, and other parties at my home. Out of all the router software out there I found Untangle's cost and what you receive from keeping the apps and software up to date beats me trying to use other open source router platforms.
    Jim.Alles and junglechuck like this.

But, Untangle has always been consistent in that a la carte licensing is always done via the same license bucket as everything else. Limiting access to the new module to the complete bundles for now sort of side steps this issue for now.
    I've never exercised the add-on option so I have no idea what that actually looks like.

I was thinking of those who are talking about thousands of dollars to get full functionality at home and wondering if that were really the case. I guess it certainly could be. But that seems to me a choice rather than a requirement for home networks and home security via Untangle. Just my opinion, of course.

I've never exercised the add-on option so I have no idea what that actually looks like.

I was thinking of those who are talking about thousands of dollars to get full functionality at home and wondering if that were really the case. I guess it certainly could be. But that seems to me a choice rather than a requirement for home networks and home security via Untangle. Just my opinion, of course.
    Yeah, that's a bit exaggerated. The 50 seat complete is $1080 / year. That's $1.80 / device / month. 25 devices is $540 / year, which works out to... surprise... $1.80 / device / year. The 12 device costs a little more, at $270 / year, it's $1.88 / device / year.

Thousands would only come into play if you're doing a public wifi mess out of your house, which is a horrible idea for a TON of reasons. And if you need that sort of public access, why are you filtering it? Get a Unifi WAP, setup a VLAN, bypass that range and wash your hands of the filtering. If you want basic filtering, get OpenDNS and configure that range to use it... it's free for Homes, and really easy to integrate.

So I don't quite understand all the whining.... other than the original miscommunication, which at best is a minor annoyance.

Real AV for any platform is $2 / month / device... Basic O365 functionality is $5 / month / user, Google wants $6 / month / user for the same... Adobe wants $20 / month / user just for Acrobat! WTF do people want?!?

O365 Home is $100 / year for 6 people... that's $1.39 / user / month... (Seriously if you look at O365 and compare its true value against all other SaaS options they all suck!)

But Untangle is "too expensive". At infinite users for $50 / year. I really suspect the really vocal people on this are using HomePro for a commercial application and they're getting butt hurt because they want the new toys to abuse too. But I have no proof, so I stay rather quiet.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-05-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    ctaranto likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Yeah, that's a bit exaggerated. The 50 seat complete is $1080 / year. That's $1.80 / device / month. 25 devices is $540 / year, which works out to... surprise... $1.80 / device / year. The 12 device costs a little more, at $270 / year, it's $1.88 / device / year.

Thousands would only come into play if you're doing a public wifi mess out of your house, which is a horrible idea for a TON of reasons. And if you need that sort of public access, why are you filtering it? Get a Unifi WAP, setup a VLAN, bypass that range and wash your hands of the filtering. If you want basic filtering, get OpenDNS and configure that range to use it... it's free for Homes, and really easy to integrate.

So I don't quite understand all the whining.... other than the original miscommunication, which at best is a minor annoyance.

Real AV for any platform is $2 / month / device... Basic O365 functionality is $5 / month / user, Google wants $6 / month / user for the same... Adobe wants $20 / month / user just for Acrobat! WTF do people want?!?

O365 Home is $100 / year for 6 people... that's $1.39 / user / month... (Seriously if you look at O365 and compare its true value against all other SaaS options they all suck!)

But Untangle is "too expensive". At infinite users for $50 / year. I really suspect the really vocal people on this are using HomePro for a commercial application and they're getting butt hurt because they want the new toys to abuse too. But I have no proof, so I stay rather quiet.
    I agree. Like I stated earlier, even doubling it to $100 a year I would be fine with. Hell, nest charges $10 a month for cameras and $5 per month for additional ones. You pay over $50 a year for something like bitdefender for your laptop.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast