Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Well again, I (was) a migrating new user, but I'm a home user and want protection for my home and the growing number of IOT devices in it. that number itself is rapidly increasing and puts massive pressure on "seat" licensing. I'd pay $100 year for home full use, heck I'd probably pay $200/year if I really liked it, but there is no way in hell I'm paying over $1000/year - my wife would cancel the credit card and I'd sleep on the couch for a month.

So I'm calling sales and canceling my order. I guess I'm going to go back to the UDM pro order I debated.
    RonV42 likes this.

I don't question your decision but I don't understand it. Nobody here that I know of pays over a $1000 per year for very robust protection at home for virtually unlimited seats. We pay $50 per year.

Yeah I'm afraid I'm in the same boat, exactly how many devices you do have at home?

I run a blasted MSP out of my house, and I have FOUR kids, including TWO teenagers. Known devices on Untangle? 315, Maximum Active... 20.

Which means I need the 25 seat license at $540 / year... Whooptie freaking do. In your case unlimited users of everything but branding manager, the paid virus blocker, and now threat prevention... oh noes... whatever will you do with only access to two very powerful VPN modules, and the best content control engine the world has to offer...

The Virus Blockers honestly provide minimal benefit, the module you're really after is, and always has been, Web Filter.

So I'm with Sam, the logic doesn't compute. I'd love to understand, but it doesn't compute. It computes even less when you say I'm going to another Open Source thing... because that other thing, does less than HomePro does, even with the few features it misses relative to Complete. I know that too, because I USE THEM ALL myself too!

Perhaps you think you have to license based on the known devices count instead of max active? That could be rather scary if you didn't know that! It's how many devices you have going through Untangle right now, not in aggregate forever! Bypassed traffic doesn't count either, so a device heavy IOT VLAN need not be filtered at all, but yet can still be firewalled with filter rules. There is always a way, but even I must admit that device based licensing is a real turn off, and you're not alone in that.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-05-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    mtarbox likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I wasn't going to renew my sub which was going to be up on the 10th but I ended up renewing. When I actually looked at what I'm getting from the Home sub I feel I'm getting a great value especially for the price. There's so many things that I use Untangle for that I actually didn't take into consideration until I started looking for a replacement that would come close to offering what Untangle offers with basically a few clicks to setup. So renewing for $50.00 really was a no brainier. I'm sure I could get away with just buying a Unifi Dream machine pro for like $350.00 for security purposes but in my opinion Untangle offers more even in it's current flavor. If Untangled was to offer a 1 time purchase price for home use and never gave me an update or tech support I'd probably buy it. I'm confident it would keep my networks secure without adding any new things or even being updated.
    Last edited by pcwatermods; 02-06-2020 at 01:12 AM.
    Sam Graf and mtarbox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah I'm afraid I'm in the same boat, exactly how many devices you do have at home?

I run a blasted MSP out of my house, and I have FOUR kids, including TWO teenagers. Known devices on Untangle? 315, Maximum Active... 20.

Which means I need the 25 seat license at $540 / year... Whooptie freaking do. In your case unlimited users of everything but branding manager, the paid virus blocker, and now threat prevention... oh noes... whatever will you do with only access to two very powerful VPN modules, and the best content control engine the world has to offer...

The Virus Blockers honestly provide minimal benefit, the module you're really after is, and always has been, Web Filter.

So I'm with Sam, the logic doesn't compute. I'd love to understand, but it doesn't compute. It computes even less when you say I'm going to another Open Source thing... because that other thing, does less than HomePro does, even with the few features it misses relative to Complete. I know that too, because I USE THEM ALL myself too!

Perhaps you think you have to license based on the known devices count instead of max active? That could be rather scary if you didn't know that! It's how many devices you have going through Untangle right now, not in aggregate forever! Bypassed traffic doesn't count either, so a device heavy IOT VLAN need not be filtered at all, but yet can still be firewalled with filter rules. There is always a way, but even I must admit that device based licensing is a real turn off, and you're not alone in that.
    I actually donít know how many devices I have but we are building a smart home and have many Sonos devices TVs and other non computer stuff.

Not sure of your assertion- that I would be ahead of the udm pro with the home use even without the new modules or whether I should just pay the $540 a year for bottom level full license and it will likely cover the devices that actually need it. As Iím just a home user not running any open services other than Plex Iím just not sure I can justify $500+\year for subscription. Thatís quite a bit.

I thank you for the feedback but honestly what I see is a company/product that is limiting security options moving forward for home users and that gives me pause to move into a new product universe

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    I thank you for the feedback but honestly what I see is a company/product that is limiting security options moving forward for home users and that gives me pause to move into a new product universe
    Fair enough. I don't agree that that's the case since the remaining tools cover the bases for home use, but fair enough.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

I had to laugh out loud with this piece. Same here. It seemed like every other Christmas gift this year had some sort of internet connectivity with it. One of the kids has a lot of friends over.
    I migrated over from PFSense. I was happy I did. I had played with Untangle years ago and was very apprehensive, but that was setting it up for a Christian School, and the circumstances were completely different.
    Each of the firewall solutions has its own little quirks, pro's and con's. Yes, I still have my settings file for PFSense, just in case. I just renewed Untangle back in October.

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    Ahh, yes that's fair. And you don't have the history with Untangle to know why that rational assertion is actually quite bonkers. If there's an attribute you can associate with Untangle, it's consistency. How consistent? Well, I just renewed a HomePro subscription, and the back end goofed up and made an error in my favor. When I notified Untangle of this error, they thanked me for noticing it, and said they'd honor the renewal at the price that was erroneously charged.

Moving beyond that, I've never had them cancel a single subscription I support. I'm a gold partner! The highest tier! As long as my clients renew on time, that subscription is the same price they paid when they bought it. And given some of these subs are over a decade old at this point, their per device cost is almost HALF what a new subscription costs today. This gets even more nuts when you realize that Untangle added a non-profit tier to their licensing several years back. But anyone that bought before that, they're still paying on the old rules.

So while yes, your home subscription is missing one new feature, and I have older subscriptions for schools and businesses in largely the same boat, we still really can't complain because the price today, is the price tomorrow. They could change it... three's no guarantee that says they won't... but they've never done it.

That's huge, and extremely rare. Which is why I stick around, and keep trying to sell this thing, even when the world seems to think paying more for less via Meraki or any number of alternatives is a better idea.
    Jim.Alles and junglechuck like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I have 48 active devices at all time, and it's just me and my wife at home. Between all of the Cameras, IOT devices, and network equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    I have 48 active devices at all time, and it's just me and my wife at home. Between all of the Cameras, IOT devices, and network equipment.
    Well, then you're fine because of unlimited devices. But if you're going that nuts, you'd be better served by making an IoT VLAN. And should you be stuck with device based licensing, you bypass the IoT stuff. Untangle isn't meant to protect automated stuff, it's supposed to filter on user driver browser based stuff. You can filter IoT, but yeah... device creep is going to eat you alive. Which is why everyone else abandoned device based licensing. I'd love to see Untangle do the same, but I don't think their upstream vendors will allow for that.
    Jim.Alles and junglechuck like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast