Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    Now there are a lot of factors that can contribute ...

My buffer bloat scores have been amazing with this beta on my 50/3 (Mbps Down/Up) bonded pair DSL.

I typically score all over the place any where from an A to a C with the bulk in the B to C score range. Typically the upload test would kill me from a buffer bloat score perspective.

Since moving to the beta ... I have not gotten less than an A. It seems much better at my slower speeds.
    What tool are you using to measure buffer bloat? And - in case it doesn't run under Windows 10 - do you happen to know a tool that does?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
    What tool are you using to measure buffer bloat? And - in case it doesn't run under Windows 10 - do you happen to know a tool that does?
    dslreports web site speed test.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untangle Ninja

I believe he used dslreports.com speed test. Unfortunately you now need to be a member and have a history. LOL

Flent is Linux
    A blog article: https://blog.tohojo.dk/2017/04/the-s...rk-tester.html

An article about DSLreports: https://www.internetsociety.org/blog...om-dslreports/

You can do your own comparative feel 'quick test' using NGFW and a client machine, as described here: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Tests_for_Bufferbloat/

On a windows client command line, start pinging Google:
    Code:
    ping -t 8.8.8.8
    The 'time=' reported number is latency.

then start any speed test
    Give the buffers time to fill, then watch the variation in ping latency time during the upload phase.

To compare, turn fq_codel on and off in NGFW #config/network/advanced/qos [Queue Discipline]
    You can also downward-adjust your WAN upload bandwidth, to avoid filling upstream buffers.

This would be good to see in a graph, therefor Flent
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 05-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    donhwyo likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    I believe he used dslreports.com speed test. Unfortunately you now need to be a member and have a history. LOL
    I was able to run the test and get my buffer bloat score without being a member.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangler

dslreports web site speed test.
    Thanks. I actually managed to get an "A" score, but had to lower my QoS upload speed to only 40% of my nominal speed. I guess Comcast is having difficulties providing enough upload capacity during daytime hours.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Flent is Linux
    A blog article: https://blog.tohojo.dk/2017/04/the-s...rk-tester.html

An article about DSLreports: https://www.internetsociety.org/blog...om-dslreports/

You can do your own comparative feel 'quick test' using NGFW and a client machine, as described here: https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Tests_for_Bufferbloat/

On a windows client command line, start pinging Google:
    Code:
    ping -t 8.8.8.8
    The 'time=' reported number is latency.

then start any speed test
    Give the buffers time to fill, then watch the variation in ping latency time during the upload phase.

To compare, turn fq_codel on and off in NGFW #config/network/advanced/qos [Queue Discipline]
    You can also downward-adjust your WAN upload bandwidth, to avoid filling upstream buffers.

This would be good to see in a graph, therefor Flent
    Cool, I will give this a try.

Not long ago I've had serious problems with my GF trying to use Cisco AnyConnect VPN to connect to her work place and only after adding a bypass rule for her computer, did it finally work without multi-second delays, when typing in a bash shell in VNC Viewer. But as soon as I start any upload tasks, the delay comes back, no matter how low I set the upload bandwidth in QoS.

Would be great, if this were indeed to get better in Untangle 15.1.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
    Thanks. I actually managed to get an "A" score, but had to lower my QoS upload speed to only 40% of my nominal speed. I guess Comcast is having difficulties providing enough upload capacity during daytime hours.
    I log into my DSL modem every so often and see what my down/up rates are. In QoS I put 90% of those values. That seems to be working for me obviously.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untangler

I log into my DSL modem every so often and see what my down/up rates are. In QoS I put 90% of those values. That seems to be working for me obviously.
    That generally works for me as well, but it doesn't work with Cisco AnyConnect VPN. No matter how low I set the QoS value, any parallel upload will introduce severe lag on the VPN connection, even with Bypass rules =High Priority for the VPN connection active and low priority for the upload task.

Of course the fact that upload speeds (nominal 5 Mbit/s) range from 6 Mbit/s in the evening and at night down to less than 2 Mbit/s during daytime hours doesn't help, but even with QoS upload set to 1500 kbit/s the problem occurs.

Untangle Ninja

This might have helped.

https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...ncy-management

Unfortunately it didn't into 15.1. They can't even make up their minds if it is needed. LOL

under consideration.png

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast