Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MNTech68 View Post
    Did anyone answer this question? I'm curious as well.
    Yes we have removed the OpenVPN installer with v15.1 (it was Windows only anyways). Yes, you will have to download the OpenVPN installer directly from Openvpn. https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

There are two reasons for this. Our release cycles were not inline with OpenVPN releases so customers might not have the newest version available in our installer. Second is that Windows installer scripts are not our strong point. One of the forum contributors, WebFool, has been kindly creating the installer script for many years. We can't expect him to do that forever.
    Sam Graf likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Which sadly means less automation for OpenVPN, and a direct value drop. It now takes more time to setup a client than it did before.

In the Meraki age, that's BAD. But... we also have WireGuard on the horizon so I'm just going to sit down and shut up and wait for the new age of better VPN via WireGuard.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Frankly, I have been using the single .ovpn file for some time for my clients to do remote VPN installations. Since most email servers/clients will not send or receive attachments as .exe, it is far easier for me to email a link to the Openvpn website installer and the .ovpn file with instructions on were to drop the .ovpn file.

Untanglit

I see it as a small step in the wrong direction. I use the exe a lot, and push direct to clients via remote management more times then I can count. It adds another challenge when selling against one-click simplicity of competitors.

I know nothing about WireGuard, is it going to be paid App?
    automationstation likes this.

WireGuard is only udp as i read? Anyway no matter what will added in untangle, openvpn and tunnelvpn will continue to be supported even with no exe install?

I've read nothing about discontinuing support for OpenVPN. However, once you have the chance to see WireGuard in action you'll be tripping over yourself to use it instead.

And yes, like all sane VPN technologies, it's UDP based. Wrapping TCP with more TCP or UDP with TCP is a fools errand that results in terrible performance. If you're on an ISP that screws up UDP, your solution is to get to an ISP that doesn't. Contorting your technology into a known bad place isn't a solution, it's simply a means to give yourself more work.

To spin it another way, and to borrow a phrase a software dev I work with frequently likes to use: "Automating a broken process just gets you to the wrong answer faster."
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
    Anyway no matter what will added in untangle, openvpn and tunnelvpn will continue to be supported even with no exe install?
    Yes, all the current VPNs (OpenVPN, IPsec, Tunnel) will continue to be included and supported.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Yes, all the current VPNs (OpenVPN, IPsec, Tunnel) will continue to be included and supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I've read nothing about discontinuing support for OpenVPN. However, once you have the chance to see WireGuard in action you'll be tripping over yourself to use it instead.

And yes, like all sane VPN technologies, it's UDP based. Wrapping TCP with more TCP or UDP with TCP is a fools errand that results in terrible performance. If you're on an ISP that screws up UDP, your solution is to get to an ISP that doesn't. Contorting your technology into a known bad place isn't a solution, it's simply a means to give yourself more work.

To spin it another way, and to borrow a phrase a software dev I work with frequently likes to use: "Automating a broken process just gets you to the wrong answer faster."
    Thank you both, i don't use tcp in openvpn, i just asked.

If Wireshark has the same abilities like routing to pull the client lans then i have no problem to try it but i will need to update with the new software all my clients.

Will Wireshark module have the ability to create installations for the client's like openvpn does so far?

More than you wanted to know about Wireguard.

https://www.wireguard.com/

Wireguard advantages are high bandwidth performance and peer to peer routing.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 04-17-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    hpaunet likes this.

Yeah WireGuard is what happens when OpenVPN and Bittorrent get together after a wild party.

The server is no longer the hub, it's just a manager of the swarm. Clients enroll into the swarm, and simply get connectivity as a result. It's pretty blasted magical honestly. I wasn't kidding when I said everyone would be tripping over themselves to use it.

No more bandwidth bottlenecks... no routing loops to manage... just connect all your junk and tell the swarm who is allowed to access what and off it goes. It's a virtual cloud network, designed to live on top of virtual cloud networks!

That probably makes your head hurt, but it's the best way I know to describe what it can do.
    jcoffin and hpaunet like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast