Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    From the iso install.
    Build: 15.1.0.20200412T101437.6945ed11c2-1buster
    Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64

I assume the upgrade will follow the usual roll out scheme.
    https://forums.untangle.com/feedback...tml#post241952
    I downloaded from the link within a couple minutes of your original post. So maybe it wasn't uploaded yet. This shows the need to not reuse names and also provide check sums to verify the validity of the download.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    I downloaded from the link within a couple minutes of your original post. So maybe it wasn't uploaded yet. This shows the need to not reuse names and also provide check sums to verify the validity of the download.
    With browser and ISP cache, it is a gambit. If you wish for MD5, log into Command Center to download.

download-md5.jpg
    theoak likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Update inbound:

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...ld2_2020-05-21

New Build: 15.1.0.20200520T115448.b25694768b-1buster
    donhwyo and Jim.Alles like this.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untanglit

As a new Untangle user - I find it strange that the following happens:

1. E-Mail Update available...
    2. Command Center Update available...
    3. Forum Update available...
    ---
    4. Untangle Software [No Update!] <-

What happens if the software is breached in a way, would a update to all devices take as long over the update services?
    [Sophos SQL Injection on the Sophos XG Software] <- Just an example!

-----
    Not to sound ungreatfull and such but would suggest to make a major announcement if it is available for everyone. (Over all Services)

Best regards
    Val.
    Last edited by Valvaris; 05-21-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valvaris View Post
    -----
    Not to sound ungreatfull and such but would suggest to make a major announcement if it is available for everyone. (Over all Services)
    As said in...

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    When will the upgrade be available for me?
    Upgrades are rolled out over time to the existing servers. If you want the upgrade immediately, email your box UID to support and request adding your UID to the Early Upgrade List.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

That is not really a solution to my question. I know about the UID E-Mail Upgrade.

This upgrade is actually like a major release by itself coz of Debian Buster - So it is more impactful then just a Hotfix.

The point I want to get at is that like said before:
    ---
    And if so plz mention a time frame - To be honest I was afraid to miss out on the upgrade coz of essental fixes to the OS.

Sincerely
    Val.

[P.S. ---> Just a suggestion!]

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Valvaris View Post
    As a new Untangle user - I find it strange that the following happens:

---

What happens if the software is breached in a way, would a update to all devices take as long over the update services?
    [Sophos SQL Injection on the Sophos XG Software] <- Just an example!

-----

Best regards
    Val.
    I think that sense of strangeness is legitimate, but nevertheless a seemingly fixed part of the Untangle experience. But this experience is related only to major releases and point releases and not necessarily builds, which can get pushed out fairly quickly, so there are generally no security concerns.

The updates are pushed out in an apparently pseudorandom way so other than generalizations like "over time" or "by the end of [month]" there is no timeframe. That means the public announcements target clean installations, not upgraded installations. For upgrades, it’s a heads up.

And for myself, I use the announcement to decide if I want automatic update on or off during that period. If I have any interest in being involved in the update, I turn automatic update off until I’m (and it’s) ready.

Now, for me the biggest pain of all this is the fragmentation of the support community here that necessarily follows from the upgrade process, between the haves and the have nots, across a nontrivial amount of time per year.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 05-22-2020 at 04:47 AM.
    Jim.Alles and Valvaris like this.

Yeah, but considering there was a substantial SSL issue found and fixed in v15.1 already, that broke web admin on some boxes...

Well let's just say I'm rather happy with staged updates, they do have their advantages.

It's also important to consider, that Microsoft, Apple, and Google ALSO stage their updates. Bandwidth might be infinite, but in the moment it's annoyingly finite. So spreading out the entire user base over a month or two is the only reasonable way to push all this software out.

The notification message sent via email does say:
    We will roll out this update to current Untangle NG Firewall customers with automatic updates turned on over the next several weeks.
    The forum thread has something similar in it. So it's not like this reality is hidden, but the specifics of how things roll out... well that's in the email too: https://support.untangle.com/hc/en-u...w-do-I-get-it-

I'm not sure how Untangle can be more forthright here... but new users still go through this sort of a culture shock because they assume for some reason that upgrades should be infinitely available for all users at launch. Untangle isn't Valve... And this software is buckets more important than a video game or a movie... so the roll out must by necessity be handed with greater deliberation and care.

Could you imagine a bad update that bricked installs? Networks down all over the place? *shudder* I'm glad Untangle is cautious, they aren't as cautious as I am... but still much easier to work with Untangle than Microsoft, Google, or Apple in this regard. Though, I do want to take a shower after admitting that defines my standard on the subject.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-22-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    donhwyo, Jim.Alles and Valvaris like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It's also important to consider, that Microsoft, Apple, and Google ALSO stage their updates.
    I'm not sure that's really comparable. If Apple announces that macOS Pickled Bologna will be available September 24, and if I want it, I just hit the Store and download it. If Apple Announces iPadOS 1313 will be available Friday, August 13, I don't have to wait for the notification that the update is available.

The only other time I had wait for an OS upgrade in terms of weeks or more was when upgrading Atari OS ROMs.

I agree that Untangle are completely transparent about this. But I think it's completely fair to say that Untangle marketing can catch new users understandably flat-footed.
    Valvaris likes this.

Untangle Ninja

If you want the update now you can get it. Backup your current settings. Download the iso and install. Restore your settings. Done! For bonus points get another hard drive so you can fall back easily.

Just because you know your are paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you.
    Jim.Alles and theoak like this.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast