Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    Is it part of the new iso or img if we do a new install?
    The new ISO, IMG, and OVA will be posted shortly.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Awesome thanks so much.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Date release for 15.1 just posted. Anyone on 15.1 will have this update available immediately.

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...ld2_2020-06-23
    Does it require a reboot?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    Does it require a reboot?
    I updated my system and it didn't require a reboot.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

The only time Untangle needs a reboot is when it gets a new kernel. I don't recall a time when a day release updated that.

So no, this shouldn't require a restart.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    You can see it in action here:
    http://demo.untangle.com/
    The demo is still v15.0.

Master Untangler

Being paranoid about messing up my 15.0 instance, I didn't run the update. Instead, I did a fresh install of 15.1 on another drive and swap out the 15.0 HDD for this.

I thought it was going to be a piece of cake. Well, no. Untangle kept throwing me curve balls.

Issues:

1. The interfaces were jumbled up and it took me two visits to the interface remap to fix it. Somehow, I had to do it twice for the settings to stick. And even though it has correctly identified the WAN interface during the setup wizard, it was still wrong in interface remap. It's really hard to explain what was happening.
    2. While restoring the backup and watching the text scrolling down the console browser, it finally seemed to finish by showing a horizontal line with the browser auto-refreshing. Ok, I said to myself... I guess it will take a moment to finish the restore. Half an hour later, it was still like that and I am not able to login to the dashboard. Had to reboot Untanlge from the console. Everything eventually fell into place the 2nd time I ran the restore.
    3. Finally, I was able to transfer my HomePro subscription to this new instance in Command Center. Alas! I immediately received a License Limit Exceeded email notification. Going into Config>About>Licenses, it is now showing that my license seats have been pegged at 50. Previously, I think it was "Unlimited".

Anyway, I was able to hammer through issues 1 and 2.... For #3, I wrote an email to support. Still waiting for a response.

Granted, this is on custom hardware (HP Microserver N40L), but I think restoring a backup onto a factory-fresh install shouldn't be this tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    1. The interfaces were jumbled up and it took me two visits to the interface remap to fix it. Somehow, I had to do it twice for the settings to stick. And even though it has correctly identified the WAN interface during the setup wizard, it was still wrong in interface remap. It's really hard to explain what was happening.

Granted, this is on custom hardware (HP Microserver N40L), but I think restoring a backup onto a factory-fresh install shouldn't be this tricky.
    Describe your Network Interface Cards for us, please

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Describe your Network Interface Cards for us, please
    This is how it should look like but initially, ports assigned to "External" and "Internal" were reversed. I don't know why eth0 to eth2 has been reordered and became discontiguously detected.

Physically, eth1 (Broadcom) is the embedded NIC on the N40L, and the one connected to the CPE modem.

eth0 and eth2 are from the Intel PCIe dual-gigabit NIC.

Linking this... again...

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInter...NG_.LINK_FILES

Untangle is using the default Debian 10 behavior of leaving it up to the kernel to figure crap out. Back in Debian 9 the kernel would build a file in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. This file among other things would tell the kernel to fix a given NIC to a specific device flag, such as eth0. So on reboot, your interfaces didn't reorder themselves.

But Debian deprecated this behavior... We now have a new file syntax, and a new location to do custom naming schemes. And Untangle will need to create these rule files itself, so units stop doing this crap. The instructions are right there in the wiki for those that want to fix this themselves. I know I will be... because a reboot to a reordered pile of interfaces is an OLD problem, one I will not deal with again. It's like the bad old days of Untangle 5.0 again. Next thing I know they'll be dragging out that horror of a java configuration applet again.

To be clear I'm not blaming Untangle for this, I cannot fathom why the Debian maintainers went backwards on this specific feature. It's well documented what happens with Linux based firewalls that do not have consistent device flags across reboots.... that is nothing good! I've had Debian 10 in production for an age now... and I didn't realize this was a thing until Untangle v15.1 started rolling. I know I didn't see it in testing either... but here we are!

Gentleman write your .link files!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-15-2020 at 12:10 AM.
    oj88, donhwyo and tangofan like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast