Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Release: NG Firewall 16.0 with WireGuard VPN

It's official! (and also posted in the NG Firewall General Forum)

We are pleased to announce the release of Untangle NG Firewall software, version 16.0. This release includes a new VPN technology app, WireGuard® VPN. WireGuard VPN is a modern and agile VPN solution that makes setting up a VPN connection through NG Firewall simple while providing ultra-fast connectivity between sites or to remote users. The WireGuard VPN app is included in NG Firewall Complete.

Other enhancements within this release include:
    • UEFI Support - allows administrators a greater selection of newer hardware appliances to deploy NG Firewall on.
    • IPsec VPN and OpenVPN Improvements - Improves the user experience by increasing the speed of VPN connections while reducing VPN connection disruptions.
    • Threat Prevention app - Enhancements to the Threat Prevention app provide new settings to customize the app behavior and to monitor the app activity.
    • Other Enhancements - various improvements including improved system performance, disk management and SSL certificate handling.

Join the webinar to learn more about NG Firewall 16.0. Thursday October 22 at 10 am PT | 1 pm ET | 7 pm CET.

Register Now

Important Notices:
    • 32 bit upgrades will no longer be provided from 16.1 onwards.
    • As of 16.0 the ISO file download is available for use with both USB and CD media.
    • Upgrades are rolled out over time to active servers. If you want the upgrade immediately, email your box UID to support and request to be added to the Early Upgrade List.
    • This upgrade requires a reboot, which will happen automatically during the upgrade process.

For more information, view the current releases page.
    thecomputerdude and doudoufr like this.

I saw an email that made me very happy today. This! UEFI support! Wireguard!

This is like Christmas 2 months early.
    Last edited by thecomputerdude; 10-13-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    csherman and hpaunet like this.
    Jason Russell
    Xtremission LLC

Of course you do this the day after I walk an admin through emergency restoration procedures...

I hope he got his ISO yesterday!

That is, unless v16.0.1 can handle a v15.0.1 restore?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Upgrades are rolled out over time to active servers
    Is there a timeframe for that?

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by cholzer View Post
    Is there a timeframe for that?
    It will roll out as it has for years. If you want/need it right away send your uid to support. Or do a backup and install clean. Then restore your backup. Clean install is almost always better in my opinion. But the choice is yours.
    cholzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    It will roll out as it has for years. If you want/need it right away send your uid to support. Or do a backup and install clean. Then restore your backup. Clean install is almost always better in my opinion. But the choice is yours.
    I know but in the past a timeframe for when the rollout is planed was provided - which is what I asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by cholzer View Post
    I know but in the past a timeframe for when the rollout is planed was provided - which is what I asked for.
    The time frame you speak of has never been official, and has never been spoken of as such.

That being said, the v16.0.1 update from v15.1.2 isn't terribly large. So given Untangle's history, I'd say most people should have it within a month. That is, unless something breaks and they have to stop rolling it out.
    cholzer likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The time frame you speak of has never been official, and has never been spoken of as such.
    Ah you are right, I once asked support and they provided me with a timeframe inside which to expect the auto update to happen. I falsely remembered that this was part of the release news.

My u25xw appliance was on v16.0.0 RC.

The upgrade to 16.0.1 was uneventful, with 104 packages downloaded.

However, be advised that a re-boot did occur after the upgrade on that particular path.
    YMMV

Great news!

Question... I created a bootable USB stick with the Untangle ISO using RUFUS and it boots just fine on my Dell Desktop.

Yet the motherboard on the Untangle server is quite old. It has extra boot options for USB Hard Drive, USB Zip, USB floppy etc, but it does not want to boot off the USB flash drive.

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast