Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default blocking Grooveshark.com

Ok... So we have very limited internet bandwidth, we have asked/pleaded numorus times for people to not stream non-buisness stuff. Like radio stations.

So for example. I went to a few popular online radio stations and looked how the player is invoked and was able to create a protocol filter.

So the user can go to the radio stations website and click on the flash player etc.. but they cannot hear the music as the streaming server it relies on does not work.

I haven't figured out how to block groveshark.com

When I look at the untangle web filter report I see stream57.grooveshark.com, stream67-he.grooveshark.com, stream54.grooveshark.com, stream53.grooveshark.com etc.. so there are many.

I'd rather use the protocol filter so that the user can visit the site if they'd like but they couldnt stream from it.

If the site's entire purpose is streaming audio, why would they ever need to visit the site? Just block *.grooveshark.com in the web filter. If you reall want, you can also create a pass list entry for www.grooveshark.com (and probably one other static url) so the base site works.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Nice app groveshark!!!! I find rare and not popular music.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Master Untangler

Thumbs up

I agree with jcoehoorn.

Blocking *.grooveshark.com should do the trick, if the stream is a domain.

Fiddler is our friend on checking stream URL's I had do block a couple of IP servers to block some popular streams here, but take a loock into reporting. Most likely your users will be listening to it all day, so they should get to the top hosts. From there you only have to do a little bit of researching about the reported IP's and determine if they are streaming servers or not

I love this forum!!!
    Dissidente , can use fiddler to view https sessions of another pc in the network?

Master Untangler

Well, first of all let me start by saying that Fiddler is a Windows tool. It acts like a proxy between your browser and the network.

That said, it is mainly intended for being used in the same machine the browser is. However it has a flag that enabled it to receive traffic from other hosts (as long as you take care of everything in the middle - firewall and stuff). You can use it to inspect HTTPS as long as it is used as the proxy for that browser and you need to install Fiddler's certificates, as it will use (if i'm not mistaken) two tunnels - one between the browser and the proxy and another one between the proxy and the webserver.

I mainly use it for site resource tracking and troubleshooting (we are an online marketing agency )

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    can [you] use fiddler to view https sessions of another pc in the network?
    I doubt it would work well, but you can always start up grooveshark on your own machine while fiddler is running.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

I discover (thank your guys) two nice things today, grooveshark and fiddler

Master Untangler

Well, most of the recent mainstream browsers out there already come with dev tools, session analysers among them. Chrome, Safari, IE8, Firefox (with Firebug). You can use them as an alternative to Fiddler for casual analysis without https workarounds or anything like that as they sit on the browsers end.

For more serious HTTP analysis under Windows I would recommend Fiddler dough. It's a lot more powerful than the browser tools

Dissidente:

Thanks for the info, the purpose of this tools for me is catch user using some type of anonymizer or proxy, at the edge, cant sit in the user´s pc for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast