Default Blocking Access to Public Minecraft Servers

Hello,
    Is it possible to monitor/block access to public Minecraft servers with Application Control Lite? My two sons are completely addicted to it and spend way too much time playing. I would like to be able to control when and for how long they can access the public Minecraft servers.

Jon

The default port is TCP 25565.

So if you make a firewall rule denying access to that port outbound, most servers will go offline. There's nothing to stop them from using servers that use other ports manually.

You can also consider blocking everything heading to 23.21.227.220. That's minecraft.net's web server, and also the login server. If the game client can't connect to that page, it cannot login. If they cannot login, they cannot connect to normal multiplayer servers. Hacked servers, and badly configured servers are still there.

An application control signature would be nice, but I'm not nearly good enough with regex to even begin to make one.

On that note, if any one has any resources to get started on that process, a pointer would be appreciated. This seems like a skill I 'should" have.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 03-05-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks sky-night. I was hopping that Application Control might have a Minecraft definition already defined, but this definitely looks do-able with the IP address for the login server.

Thanks!
    Jon