Default Need help in blocking torents with the help of signature

Hi I am new in this forum, can any one guide me how to block torrent sites / application with the help of signature in application control lite.

Regards,
    Jayesh

The only way I found to consistently block torrents from multiple types of applicants is to use the paid version of Application Control.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Well, kinda.

The paid version won't block torrents, it will only slow them down. The app control does a good job of detection but can't distinguish a potentially legitimate torrent (some games from Blizzard and TorrentSync) from those that are not. To address this we have to review daily content filter logs to look for web traffic to torrent repositories, and review the app log for torrent traffic with unknown destination. Unfortunately this is a long, tedious, and manual process because Untangle can't differentiate Torrent traffic to amazon hosting services (TorrentSync) or to Blizzard servers from more obvious piracy related Torrent traffic. We also have to employ Bandwidth control to throttle users who we see Torrent traffic from.

We would love to see a future version of Untangle that could:

1 - Finally block Torrent traffic completely.
    2 - Identify and handle the type of Torrent traffic based on the destination IP (Amazon, Blizzard, etc...)

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by shmstech@gmail.com View Post
    Well, kinda.

The paid version won't block torrents, it will only slow them down. The app control does a good job of detection but can't distinguish a potentially legitimate torrent (some games from Blizzard and TorrentSync) from those that are not. To address this we have to review daily content filter logs to look for web traffic to torrent repositories, and review the app log for torrent traffic with unknown destination. Unfortunately this is a long, tedious, and manual process because Untangle can't differentiate Torrent traffic to amazon hosting services (TorrentSync) or to Blizzard servers from more obvious piracy related Torrent traffic. We also have to employ Bandwidth control to throttle users who we see Torrent traffic from.

2 - Identify and handle the type of Torrent traffic based on the destination IP (Amazon, Blizzard, etc...)
    Theres only one way I know of to do #1. Thats turning off the internet. Filtration of any kind if a cat and mouse game, so there is always a way around it.

As for #2, problem comes from getting what you consider a legit source and then sorting accordingly. Our network, for example, considers Blizzard torrents to be illegitimate and wants them blocked. We also do not use TorrentSync, and therefore would want it blocked as well. If I had a user who had to have these services, I'd setup Bypass rules for them specifically and keep blocking the rest. Again, this is just my environment however, for the other side of the coin view.

Just my 2cents.

The paid version won't block torrents, it will only slow them down. The app control does a good job of detection but can't distinguish a potentially legitimate torrent (some games from Blizzard and TorrentSync) from those that are not.
    Torrents are block. The key is to use tarpit instead of block in the paid app control. Since legitimate and illegitimate torrents both use the same transport and the tcp packets; how would any system differentiate?

Already does this on NEW sessions using tarpit

Destination IP identification has not been a reliable way to identify traffic since the use of cloud systems like Amazon AWS and generic CDN.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com